LegacyGT.com

Dyno BNR 16g! Tuned by Junior at P&L...301whp/307wtq!

Serb Legacy GT

Who says you can't get 300 whp on a BNR 16g?!:) I went and got dyno tuned by Junior over at P&L Motorsport (in Franklin Park, IL). I am VERY HAPPY with the results! 301 whp and 307 wtq! I love how the power keeps coming on and does not drop off. The torque curve is huge and relatively flat, and the drivability is also excellent. Power comes on very smooth, and off boost or part throttle driving is very smooth too. I really can't say enough for how happy I am with the car, and FINALLY it's tuned:)

The staff at P&L was very friendly and once they had the car strapped to the dyno I was allowed to go back with my mechanic during the whole process. Junior was also an awesome guy, real friendly and great conversation. He offered up tons of info to all of my questions and nicely explained some of the process. Again, VERY HAPPY! To me it's a no brainer, if you need a tune, Junior and P&L is hands down the way to go.

Here is my dyno run, and I am also including a dyno comparison of my base run to the final run. The base run was on my e-tune, which I was told was a completed tune by Shamar (the squiggle at 4900 rpm is from plotting one over the other). The dyno confirms what I felt all along, the e-tune was not right and not a completed tune. You can see where at 3400 rpm on the base run power was pulled, and Junior explained that the car had a good amount of knocking there and was adjusting timing for it. It also falls flat on it's face after 5700 rpm from dialing boost back too much, again not ideal. The car was also running very rich, so much so that with windows rolled down the fuel smell would start giving me a headache. That is no longer an issue, everything is dialed in nicely. For all of the disappointment with the e-tune and the fact that it was considered 'done', it turned into a good thing because I wound up researching some more to find Junior's tune.

***I also included 2 logs after the tune

Complete mods list....BNR 16g, PW TMIC, STi up, CNT catted dp, Stromung cbe, dw 740cc injectors, dw 65c fuel pump, Grimmspeed 3-port ebcs, stock air box and stock paper air filter and it's on pump gas, 93 octane.

Also want to add, temperature was 86F with 60%+ humidity during the dyno.

AlexB.thumb.jpg.253256a00662e37f16122f8a14a3a1b1.jpg

AlexB-Both.thumb.jpg.3b07d5ad766203d01d4331f5ef7c2921.jpg

datalog21.csv

datalog22.csv

I just added my mods list up there...it's on pump gas, 93 octane. The car is going to be a daily driver so I didn't want to get too crazy. There was actually more to be had if we got aggressive, but I wanted and preferred to be conservative. Get as much as we can, but keep it on the safe side. I don't want to bash anyone or put names on the e-tune and turn this thread into a big pissing match...a quick search through post history will give you the answer if you're interested.

***Edit***

I have decided that there really is no reason not to say who the e-tune was from on this base dyno plot. This was Shamar's Infamous1 e-tune, and what he claimed to be a finished tune that was also beyond rich (rich enough the fuel smell would start to give a headache with the windows rolled down). It's not to be taken as bashing or anything like that, it just is what it is. Also, I don't wish for anybody to take it as a negative to Infamous the store...Mike has always been excellent at providing excellent customer service, and parts with quick shipping.

wow that base tune looks bad. How many revisions were done on the etune before you got dynotuned?

Also, P&L has one of the highest reading dynos in the area.

The tune had about 4 revisions before I had an injector go bad and upgraded the fueling. Another 3 revisions after that with the new fueling. After I sent my last log I was told that's it, the tune is done, it all looks good. I was still way rich and the car didn't feel right. Also, I honestly could not drive with the windows down and would even get a headache from the fuel smell if the windows were rolled down. The response to that was I would need to log afr's if I wanted the fine tuning on them. Since I don't have a windows laptop best I could do was send a video catching my afr gauge and rpm gauge to show what the afr's were, which he was fine with. After sending that log, I never heard a response again. That was 4 weeks ago.

Not sure if their dyno reads high or not, but even if it's a little high I'm still more than happy. I love the hp and tq curves and the car feels great. It was a muggy day on that dyno run...about 86 degrees with 60%+ humidity.

Very nice,congrats! This makes me want to visit them to get tuned whenever I go stage 3 rather than getting another e-tune.

I would definitely recommend giving them a call when you're ready. I'm sure not all e-tunes are bad and I just got 'lucky' with a bad one and a tuner who just didn't care to do their job. However, with an excellent tuner available close by who can tune it live on a dyno, that would be the best way to go.

I picked up a further 20whp/wtq from that point (similar mods and power) with a Tomei ELH. Spool is more variable because header temperature effects things, but if you're romping on it for more than a quick pull you won't notice it. You most likely will not need to re-tune for the header.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I picked up a further 20whp/wtq from that point (similar mods and power) with a Tomei ELH. Spool is more variable because header temperature effects things, but if you're romping on it for more than a quick pull you won't notice it. You most likely will not need to re-tune for the header.

I have thought about an ELH but I don't want to lose the boxer rumble. I'm also at a point where the car is finally dialed in and I just don't want to mess with it! Who knows down the road, 20 whp/wtq is a sizable gain, but most likely I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Junior is a great tuner.

Good numbers/beautiful curve, glad to see you are finally happy with your setup (I remember reading some of your etune troubles)

I'm most pleased with the curve. The numbers are great but can vary dyno to dyno, the curve is always there. Junior did a great job and was very nice. Outside of losing some money and some frustration (which sucks), the e-tune troubles wound up being a good thing in the long run.

Wohoo! Congrats on those #s i was thinking of a BNR 20G but that 16G is putting down some nice #s...we shall meet on the road one day bwahahaha....

id love to see your car this summer....besides you live in the next town over...

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Wohoo! Congrats on those #s i was thinking of a BNR 20G but that 16G is putting down some nice #s...we shall meet on the road one day bwahahaha....

id love to see your car this summer....besides you live in the next town over...

I'm hoping we meet tomorrow at the Itasca Subaru parade...I'll be there :)

did we exchange #s? i was at the parade man...would love for you to hear my car so you can get ELH...its sounds great...its all about more powah hahaha...looking to do a turbo a fuel upgrade before having kids with the wifey...lol...lets get together before summer is over

and @chefo.soriano

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is the tune still good? In my very limited experience the measure of good tune is how it reacts after couple hundred miles when all the ECU learning kicks in.

Sorry for responding late, I was out of town on vacation. So far, so good :) I had one small revision shortly after the dyno tune since the afr's climbed to 11.7-11.8 near redline and everything has been great. The car drives and behaves the same, it's been a while since I have done a log (over a month), and that log was good.

im hungry for a turbo upgrade now...had my bolt ons for 6 months and would like to do more now...haha...how are your cras running drogos and serb? lets get together soon! hooters or giordanos in schaumburg is a good spot? before winter :)

and @chefo.soriano

im hungry for a turbo upgrade now...had my bolt ons for 6 months and would like to do more now...haha...how are your cras running drogos and serb? lets get together soon! hooters or giordanos in schaumburg is a good spot? before winter :)

So far very happy with how the car runs. I will say though, it's amazing how much fuel this thing can guzzle when you start to get on it! Normal driving with a few spirited moments it's not too bad, but you get on it for any length and mpg's go quick! Understandable though, gotta quench that thirst.

I will most likely have Sunday, October 27th free...no Bears game that day so it seems like a good day for a get together? Would Tilted Kilt be also an option? Never been there yet. I'll know for sure next week, but it looks like I'll have that Sunday off. Good day for a meet???

• 2 weeks later...
Just to clarify I am still on Stage 1 :) running great though :) Tilted Kilt sounds good and I don't think I have anything scheduled that day so it's prommising.

I will definitely have Sunday the 27th off, so what do you guys think about doing it that day? Nothing better than some nice LGT's, wings, and skirts :)

Archived