LegacyGT.com

AJW and Moore Blast Plate Group Buy

doobaruGT

Would you commit to a Moore Blast Plate GB through AJW Performance?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Would you commit to a Moore Blast Plate GB through AJW Performance?

• Yes, can't wait to get these on!
    • Yes, but I'd rather wait until I have to do the clutch.
    • Negative, it handles the power levels and shifts well enough for me.
    • Negative, I need an excuse to go 6 speed swap!

I received a return call from the guys at AJW Performance today!

I had originally called with some question and a quote following learning about the group buy on nasioc. I was also intrigued by Max Capacity's recent review. A few of the guys there are coming from LGT's so that was also encouraging.

Bottom line is I was told they were recently asked to be a vendor and they were very happy to do so. They have 10 units to move at a GB price of $375 shipped compared to a normal price of $399.99 + shipping (info from their website). Not an over-the-top fantastic GB price but it's still better than retail.

I was finally told that should we find some interest on this side of the Subaru fence, they could potentially grant us an even lower price. Of course there are no guarantees on this but it's a possibility and we would only need a handful (4-5 members) to pitch the (better) GB here.

I did mention that this isn't an ideal time despite the typical sale prices that appear this time of year as most of us already have additional budgetary hits from the Christmas season. They agreed and said we could probably work something out for us LGT guys.

Having said all that....

POST UP IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN A GB! :)

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Hmmm....I could be interested. On my 2nd 5mt

How many miles are on the one you have now? And what sent your first one to the afterlife?

I'm encouraged to hear from Max that he's noticed quite a bit of improvement in gear engagement. I have some issues with mine as engagement is touchy. Fortunately I'm not slamming gears or anything but I notice the synchros aren't what they used to be.

I'm thinking about this also but it's really difficult for me to consider pulling my trans. So much work...:spin:

How many miles are on the one you have now? And what sent your first one to the afterlife?

I'm encouraged to hear from Max that he's noticed quite a bit of improvement in gear engagement. I have some issues with mine as engagement is touchy. Fortunately I'm not slamming gears or anything but I notice the synchros aren't what they used to be.

I'm thinking about this also but it's really difficult for me to consider pulling my trans. So much work...:spin:

The first one was rebuilt at 97k when 3rd & 4th gears didn't survive me rushing shifts at the track. 30k miles later, 5th gear lost its temper and started shearing teeth. We (mechanic & I) guessed that the frozen center diff bearing put too much stress on 5th gear and caused it to fail. When they tested the center diff, it could not be turned by hand or wrench.

In a sad way, it was funny to flick the 5th gear teeth off with my finger. The amount of destruction found during both rebuilds was rather shocking.

Since replacing that transmission, I've been careful to not rush shifts and not slip the clutch. To do again, assuming money, I'd have done the 6MT + SpecB rear-end + Strizzy's axle upgrade + Open Source DCCD + Front LSD + custom gear set. However, at the time of the big rebuild, that was still stupid expensive. The only way I could justify it today is if I was going to race it (like race against Sgt.Gator).

These blast plates seem like good insurance if you are going to do spirited driving. I found I had to shift slowly when on the track as rushing the shifts, especially at high rpm, it was hard to get it in gear.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been pretty busy and I just had to invest in a new steering rack, radiator, cam seals, crank seal, and oil cooler seal. My weekend was spent with tools instead of my wife and son :-/

Sorry for the lazy follow-up. I'll give AJW a call today or tomorrow and let them know we've got some interest.

Thanks for checking in!

EDIT: I called AJW and no answer (maybe due to weather?) so I sent the guys an email about our interest. I'll let you know as soon as I receive a reply.

Here's the response from the Guys at AJW. He wants 5 of us. As I mentioned above, I'm out at the moment from my most recent mandated repairs/upgrades:spin:. I definitely want to do this eventually though:).

621555386_blastplates.PNG.02b79bdc17ee863093bc91ebaded95f4.PNG

Count me in. I still have some doll hairs I can spend.

How much of a PITA are they to install?

Depends if you consider dropping the trans a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

They only offered a $375 shipped GB price compared to normal $399. if we have 5 people who would commit, we could pull the trigger.

The difficult part is that the trans needs to be dropped to do it and most people aren't in unless they're doing a clutch and figure, "well, while I'm in there..."

AJW is more active on NASIOC these days so that also makes it challenging.

I was planning on dropping my trans next weekend for a clutch anyways. A local shop said they are a moore dealer and can get them for the same price as on here, but are on backorder. If I was #5 I'd say lets get on it. Otherwise I might end up waiting the 20days for the local shop to get them.

Well, a few things need to happen...

1. I have to contact AJW to see if they would still honor the deal (I don't see why they wouldn't)

2. You may be #6, but I need more than guys saying they're in. I would want to set up something that allows for a deposit of some kind via paypal. They may just give it to us at that price individually so we could see if that works as well.

In the end, I'm sure they want to be sure they're making a profit so we may need the other 4 to proceed. I'm currently out since I'm doing brake upgrades.

Let me contact them and get back to you.

Ok, here's the skinny...

AJW is going to call back shortly with the GB price (estimated $370 shipped). They're going to try and get a thread started the an official GB, which I will link to when started.

Archived