LegacyGT.com

Notchy Shifting After Amsoil Trans/Diff Fluid Change

RallyMachine

I purchased my car a last month and since it was due for the 60k I decided to replace the trans and diff fluid at the same time. Not sure what was in the car before, but I had it changed with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90.

First off, I gave the dealership 7qts of gear oil based on Amsoils recommendation of 12.1 pints (6.05 quarts) for trans and both diffs. The dealership gave me back 2 quarts which means they only used 5. Will there be ~1 quart of residual fluid from a drain and fill or did they not fill them up all the way?

Secondly, I've noticed a tad bit more noise from synchros (maybe?) when rolling in gear with clutch disengaged, but whine while in gear has improved. I have noticed that shifts feel notchier than before, but it seems like a good notchy. Almost like i can feel the transmission better and it seems crisper. Is this a bad thing? I did detect a slight grind into 5th this morning but it was ~40 degrees out. I also have the sti STS and the TiC shifter bushing set so that probably causes some notchiness, but I definitely noticed it more after the fluid change.

You need to stick with the Subaur Xtra S full synthetic. Don't listen to anyone about other brands, or mixes of different oil. I have tried them all and the extra s is magic. Also if you raise the rear of the vehicle when you drain the transaxle you will get most of the oil out.

can i just say i did this and it was the worst mistake of my life....

Amsoil + Subaru tranny = shitty shitty shifting, slow syncros it was terrible..

my fix until i get a tranny flush done

suck out 2 quarts (which was metallically from all the bad dog-teeth grinds)

put in:

1 quart of royal purple

1 quart of Pennzoil syncromesh

5mt holds 3.8 qt's

rear diff holds .8 qt

Extra-S is great stuff

BAC 5.2 recommends 3qt Redline light weight shockproof and Mutol 300 for the tranny and Mutol 300 for the rear diff

Both my cars have Amsoil Severgear in the tranny, the Spec has it in the rear diff, the wagon has Extra-S in the rear diff.

Like it was said above, you need to jack up the rear to drain the tranny of all the fluid.

I learned that the hard way.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

can i just say i did this and it was the worst mistake of my life....

Amsoil + Subaru tranny = shitty shitty shifting, slow syncros it was terrible..

my fix until i get a tranny flush done

suck out 2 quarts (which was metallically from all the bad dog-teeth grinds)

put in:

1 quart of royal purple

1 quart of Pennzoil syncromesh

how is the fix working out for you? what fluid were you running before the amsoil?

The work was done by the dealership so I believe they did a complete flush.

Before the amsoil I had Mobil 1 in it

I had the amsoil put in with a clutch replacement due to a bad TOB

I drove around 15000 miles including cross country with the amsoil in it and having to rev match to pass on the highway when I wanted to downshift to 4th, some days I had issues with all gears some time had issues going 3rdto 4th but the one that never failed was the 5th to 4th shift

The fixed worked great, I can slam gears all day long even drove back to arizona from Connecticut with the fix and I made it and nothing has fallen apart or broken yet. So far about 6-7000 miles with the current concoction.

I ran severe gear 75w110 for quite awhile with absolutely great results and very similar to what you experienced: a great shifting feel and less whine while in gear (which is where I spend most of my time!).

I did switch to extra-S to try it out and it was almost identical, with very light improvement at very low temps.

Unless there is something wrong, leave it in for 15-30k. Get some life out of it.

Archived