LegacyGT.com

Need some brake advise for HPDE

lordhowe

I just went to my first HPDE at NJMP (thunderbolt track) and was pretty disappointed by my stock brakes. I have a 09 spec.B running Centric Premium rotors with Hawk HP+. The pads did well for the first half of the first session (2 day event, 8 sessions total, each session is about 30 minutes long) but after that they were pretty much done. I'm running Motul 600 fluid and flushed them out after day 1. After each 125 mph to 30 mph stop, the brakes would fade more and more until I pretty much had to stand on them to stop.

I guess the HP+'s are not going to cut it and i am thinking about some DTC 70s or 60's. I'm also researching about cooling since everywhere i read, everyone complains about subaru brake cooling. The only thing i can possibly find is http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/aluminium-brake-cooling-air-duct-deflector-legacy-bl-bp-132160.html?t=132160&highlight=brake+cooling

i'm not completely sold on this. I am even welling to remove my fog lights and get some ducting in there but no one seems to make a kit.

thoughts anyone?

Thunderbolt is a pretty fast course so brake fade is definitely an issue. We've found HP+ are a good compromise pad. As in you can drive to the track, have fun, and go home on them. Mike has used the DTC30s with good results but for everyday I think they might eat up your rotors and make a lot of noise. I know people on here who like the Carbotechs and they are a good pad as well.

Before you spend any money though, since this was your first HPDE, you might have been over driving the car a tad?

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Jake - you are most likely right, i must have been over driving a bit but to be honest, my instructor was able to hold me from going too crazy. I experienced very little tire squeal going around the track where everyone else around me squealed their tires pretty much the entire time. I will look at some carbotechs, thanks

Subawang - i asked you in a different thread (sorry for asking twice) but what are you doing for brake cooling and what kind of brake setups are you using?

thanks again for all of your input.

I answered in your other thread, but just to note, I technically am not doing anything to enhance cooling. I also debated on going with the product you listed in the first post or fabbing up some ducts, but decided since my track machine is also my dd, I don't want to have to change yet another thing for going to the track. So, I just tried to put together a brake setup which could take the heat I will throw at it.

yeah you are correct.... i'm going to go with some DTC 60's up front and 70's in the rear with some new rotors. hopefully by then i can rig up some sort of brake cooling or at least get rid of the dust cover on the rotors.

One question with the DTC60's, would i be able to drive to the track which is 45 minutes away from my house? mostly high way driving or is this a strictly track pad where if i were to try to stop i would blow through stop lights when cold?

many thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Just got done my HPDE at Summit point (Friday at the track). I did two things aside from running the DTC 60's front and rear.

1. The two areas on the dust shield where each section have two cuts in it, i was able to cut out that middle piece thus creating a larger hole.

2. Pushed the dust shield out about an inch towards the strut.

The result were great compared to HP+'s. My ABS kicked in while going 100 MPH. On the straights of the Main circuit I was able to get up to 130 MPH running a low boost map (16 pounds). The brake showed very little fade and performed extremely well.

After a whole day of abuse, i would say they are 1/5 worn so i'm sure they are good for a few more track days.

For anyone that tracks their car, i would highly recommend DTC60's with some high quality blank rotors.

We like the HP+ for anyone running in Group 1 + 2, even 3. Above 3 you will want to look into the carbotech XP8 compound.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

the hp+ (and hps) are old news. the best hawk pad in that temp range is the DTC30, and it's way more expensive than the Stoptech street pad, which performs almost identically, costs MUCH less, and makes no noise.

long story short: if you don't need a dedicated track pad, get stoptechs (and if you do need a track pad, get the CL RC6, DTC60, or DS3000).

the hp+ (and hps) are old news. the best hawk pad in that temp range is the DTC30, and it's way more expensive than the Stoptech street pad, which performs almost identically, costs MUCH less, and makes no noise.

long story short: if you don't need a dedicated track pad, get stoptechs (and if you do need a track pad, get the CL RC6, DTC60, or DS3000).

I would have said the CL RC6, except that the CL doesn't come in LGT fitment.

The stoptech pads, i found to not be up to the level of the HP+ for track use. The DTC30 we used at Watkins Glen and NJMP chunked and smeared our rotors really badly.

Mike

didn't you suggest the dtc30 earlier in the thread? Plus they can handle about 200f more than an hp+, so if you cooked one, going to the hp+ isn't going to help.

not sure why we're arguing about what are essentially street pads in a thread about track pads where the OP is using DTC60s and really likes them.

I ran several different pads during this year and in this order: HP+'s, Stoptech, DTC60's and DTC70's.

The first two got destroyed after 3 25minute sessions each. The DTC60's and 70's are outstanding and took the 135 mph to 25 mph stops with ease. I ended up DTC60's just to try to prolong my rotors.

Archived