LegacyGT.com

2006 Legacy 2.5GT Limited for 16.5k?

Just been lurking the forum but I happened across a listing for a LGT...does this seem to be a fair price?

it has 53k miles and is a 5 speed manual, and it's the only one that I can find like it in the area (manual, GT trim)

I've been debating among the LGT, TSX, and possibly G35 if I can find one that's relatively cheap and not too beat. All must have a manual transmission. I have found an 07 TSX 6MT with 44k miles going for 18k.

I'm commuting approximately 40 miles to work one way. Would a LGT be able to handle that much mileage?

I've driven an auto 03 TSX and i do like the interior, but I've also driven an 06 SpecB and thought it was a blast. I didnt mind the interior at all.

What it comes down to in my mind is this: Do i want performance, or a relatively nice interior and lower maintenance. I've read people getting 30mpg with a GT (albeit very gentle driving) so MPG isn't a huge deciding factor for me. I'm more than happy to drive frugally but I'd love to have power on tap.

Thanks in advance!

i drive a 05 lgt. i average 21-22 mpg and mine is manual. the interior layout is nice, but the quality is not there IMO (it will rattle). is awd something you need? if you dont mind the small flaws of the lgt, go for it. having a turbo car is just fun. and they are not as common as other makes/models.

for the price, i think it should be around 14k, try to talk them down.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/has-most-miles-their-lgt-and-they-holding-up-over-long-haul-27680.html

Thanks for the response!

I live in SoCal, but I do take annual trips to Mammoth with friends during the winter. I'd love AWD in those conditions.

I forgot to mention that I found this at a dealer. I'll see what I can do about the price. I checked on KBB and used dealer value is around 20k which is pretty high. Not sure if I can make the dealer budge if they're already well under KBB value.

Thanks for the link to the thread. I've also perused that briefly before.

After researching a bit, I'm also very concerned about problems with turbos blowing and costing thousands to fix..all of which can happen before 100k miles.

What should I look for if I test drive the Leggy?

Have them remove the banjo bolt filters before you buy it and make sure they give you a good warrenty. Or pick up a aftermarket warrenty and have them take some money off.

Tell them turbo failures are a well documented thing in the internet.

Listen for tranny bearing noise too. Oh yea, the OEM clutches suck too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

haha thanks for the responses guys!

The thing is the dealer is Carmax..from what i've read they dont budge on their prices at all. It's a take it or leave it type deal. :mad: Darn whoever didnt bother selling it privately!

After literally thinking about it all day yesterday, I've decided a legacy probably isn't the best car for my situation. I commute a long ways every day and just 3 weeks into this job i've already put over 2k miles on my car :redface:. I'm a computer field technician so I drive around a good amount. I can't have the possibility the turbo would blow on me any time before 100k and end up paying a few grand (thus making up the initial cost between the Leg and TSX)..

A TSX is cheap and comfortable and I dont have to worry about a turbo blowing up or even a timing belt for that matter and has a grip of standard features over the Legacy, more specifically: HIDs, Bluetooth, Aux input, stiffer suspension, steering wheel controls, etc. (yes, i know you can add these features to the legacy but that's just adding to the overall cost of the car)

Dont get me wrong, I love the Spec B I drove. It was definitely fun and if only it was a bit more reliable I'd look into it more seriously. That and there aren't any in my area for sale.

I figure if i'm going to go with a Subaru I would want to get it with a turbo..I've already tasted the turbo in the Spec B and I probably would not be able to stand a N/A Leggy (no offense to people who own them, i'm sure they're great) with what I could have had. I would rather go with a TSX because I think we can all agree the interior and feature set that comes with a navi based TSX trumps the Legacy in all areas compared to a 2.5i.

I might be looking into GetErDun's Legacy sometime..I'll see how it is and what happens.. The nice thing about it is that it can still be under warranty given that it's transferable, and i wouldn't have to spend any money on exterior mods as I like the way it looks already. There's another TSX that i want to take a look at too. We'll see come Labor Day weekend.

So darn indecisive! I even may just wait another 6 months and save up more funds.

I have 85k on my 05 gt and there are no turbo issues. Most of those issues are due to lack of oil, so if you check your oil regularly like you're supposed to, there shouldn't be any problems. I used to drive 100 miles round trip for work, the miles rack up but the car allowed me to enjoy my drive which is worth it. Plus at the end of the day a honda is still just a honda.

No go on the Audi, my friend has a CPO A3 for less than a year that has already been in the dealer once for transmission issues.

@legacylegend11: 100 mi a day sounds around what I drive everyday to work. Thanks for the insight. True, i would probably never be bored of a turbo legacy opposed to a TSX. What kind of mileage did you get? I'm driving 90% highway.

I was considering a TSX when I bought my LGT. I didn't test drive it, so I can't give you good insight. The reason I didn't test drive it was because I was able to buy a new LGT that was a leftover for 23k and I jumped on it.

I've read the TSX manual transmission is awesome. I really like the way the new ones look. I've also read that you're supposed to put premium fuel in them, which if I'm doing that I'd rather have the benefit of the turbo. I'm not sure what the MPG difference would be, I don't think it was very drastic considering the FWD vs AWD. I had a Civic before my LGT and I really didn't like the high-revving, no low end torque feel of the car, though the TSX surely has more oomph to it than the Civic.

I'd say test drive both if you haven't already.

As for mileage, I get about 27 mpg if I'm all highway. Theres some threads on here about it, I remember.

As for mileage, I get about 27 mpg if I'm all highway. Theres some threads on here about it, I remember.

That's fantastic mileage. I wonder what GetErDun's infamous stage II tune would get..but i could live without an extra 3 mpg (TSX highway) and a ton more power. But there are a few other concerns about his car I already PMed him about (i.e. running a catless turbo back exhaust in CA and the inevitable smog check a few years down the line). Also a little concerned about the exhaust drone on the highway.

Can't comment on the Smog or CA laws, nor the exhaust drone. The MPG is from the in-dash computer, some have mentioned it's not totally accurate but I don't take long highway trips regularly, so my only real gauge has been to reset the tripometer at the beginning of my trip and it's usually in the 27.x area.

I think the catback is pretty well designed (enough to go stage II with). You could buy a catted downpipe, and do the Hogzaust if you are looking for sound without trying to swap exhausts.

No go on the Audi, my friend has a CPO A3 for less than a year that has already been in the dealer once for transmission issues.

@legacylegend11: 100 mi a day sounds around what I drive everyday to work. Thanks for the insight. True, i would probably never be bored of a turbo legacy opposed to a TSX. What kind of mileage did you get? I'm driving 90% highway.

I got about 27-28, which if i pushed it i would be right at 400 miles per tank.

Yea i've messaged GetErDun and will probably hold off on a GT for now. He seems like a cool dude. I'd like to save some more just as a buffer instead of blasting all my savings on a car.

Since he's not in a rush to sell and i'm not in a rush to buy if his car is still up for sale at that time i'm ready to buy i'll definitely take his car into consideration.

right now i'm just driving my sister's automatic 02 civic ex that gets me 35 mpg. the MPG is nice but it has absolutely no go. I floor it to merge and lean forward in anticipation of power but when it doesnt come i feel like an idiot haha :redface:

I messaged my Spec B friend about my search and he totally reinvigorated me in my efforts to get a GT. His car is awesome and he's had no major problems with it.

Archived