LegacyGT.com

remote won't lock/unlock car, then works

malimx6

I had this weird issue today. I went inside the store and locked the car with remote. I don't remember if it beeped but it did lock the doors, I'm pretty sure it beeped too. Anyway, I came out and remote doesn't work (no beeping and won't lock/unlock doors). Somebody brought me my spare keys and remote and same thing. I decided to unlock driver door with a key (I was afraid factory alarm will go off but it didn't) and got inside the car, started the car fine. I turn it off, close the door and tried to lock, nothing, it didn't work. I start the car and drive home, park it in garage, tried locking the doors and it works! Wtf?

I did have problems with battery because I didn't drive the car for couple of months. I cleaned the battery terminals yesterday and battery is fine now, but this problem occurred for the first time today, I never had this problem.

Any ideas??

thx

edit: Forgot to mention, it's 2005 Legacy GT Ltd. MT

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

old battery is fine...i thought initially it was dead, but after cleaning battery terminals car is starting up fine. When i had that problem with central locking system in front of store, i was able to start the car w/out any problem. Turned off the engine and tried locking the car with remote and it wouldn't work!!! started the car again, drove home then tried locking the car with remote and it worked. That was couple of days ago now, and i haven't had that problem yesterday.

thx for your reply

anyone have any idea why this happened?? I'll let you guys know if this happenes again, obviously...

I have an 08 Legacy limited and my wife has been complaining about this for a while, it happened to me two days ago. It seems to happen when it is cold, below 35 degrees and raining or snowing. It seems to have something to do with temp or humidity sounds wierd but that is when it acts up the most. I am going to the dealership at the end of the week they replaced the batteries last month in the remotes I'll see what they say.

hmmm weird...i heard it could be rf interference, that is, if there is a lot of interference in that spot. I've been in that store before with all my cars and never had that problem, even with my legacy, therefore i personally don't think this is the issue. Also, battery is working fine. I never had this problem before, i've had problems with gremlins in my stereo, but not this!

Also, battery in remote is not the issue either since i tried opening with my spare remote (which i never used but it does work) and wasn't able to.

Mine is and pretty much has been intermittent at times since I got the car in 07. I always assumed it was the battery but was too lazy to change it.

I'll either give it a minute or two before I try it again, or smack the remote a few times on my hand. That will usually get it working again for another 3 months :rolleyes:

My '06 does this. It mostly happens when it's cold/rainy outside. I've even been standing right next to my car and the FOB hasn't worked.

It's not a low battery issue in the FOB because it's done this even with new batteries. I've also adjusted the connectors in the FOB to ensure they are making good contact with the battery and it hasn't resolved the problem.

I had to move the appointment to Monday, but the Service Advisor did say they have known frequency interference, video servelance like at WalMart and the malls are the worst. Subaru has a built in code reader blocker, if it picks up frequencies like someone scanning to get in your car it disables itself for a few minutes then makes sure it is clear before it reenables itself??? Sounds like it could be true but over secure. :confused:

I had that happen over the holidays, only at night and only in front of my house. I ran in and grabbed my 2nd remote which I have only used a handful of times, and it wouldn't work either.

Strangely enough I think it was some sort of interference. It seemed to coincide with my neighbors Christmas lights being on. Hasn't happened since the holidays.

My money is on interference, but also the battery could be an issue.

This is what happened to me:

I had this issue for the longest time.

I decided to get my battery checked since it was winter and 4+ years old. Anyways, while the car would turn over fine, the battery tester said it was a bad battery, so I decided to get a new battery.

With the new battery my remote works just fine again, however, at the parking lot of the gym I go to, it has the hardest time working. My money is on interference. As someone mentioned, maybe its a CCtv thing...the lot I park at is shared with a bank, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are video cameras all over the place.

thx for all replies...

i haven't had any problems starting up my car nor remote issues. Hopefully it was just some interference issue...i will post back if it happens again

For sure! That is pretty wierd and would be interesting to know where the interference came from.

When it happened to me, it was unclean terminals combined with an aging battery.

Took it in since it is still under the warranty and of course they could not duplicate the problem. But I already had the batteries replaced in the remote and the brain unit looked at. The cashier told me third time is a charm, if it comes in again thay should replace the main unit and reprogram the remotes because the temp moisture issue when it acts up most.

• 2 years later...
I put a new battery in the remote.....it would not work yesterday in front of my house and again it happened today in front of a friends house....though, after reading all of the threads ...it has been raining...so i guess it could be moisture issue :(:spin: Going to any dealer ....cost an arm and a leg....and seems they can't really help!!! what can one do to dry up the moisture on the receiving device on the car. where is it under the hood?? ideas please:redface:

It really could be interference as well. I remember this happening to me any time I visited friends in Madison, WI. For some reason, the remote pretty much wouldn't work anywhere in that city!

• 1 year later...

would love to see if anyone ever found a solution to this?

I have read all the posts here and am experiencing all of the above:

-intermittent or no use when raining or after rain

-Both remotes not working at same time, even with new batteries and terminals cleaned.

-have even taken it in and had the dealership look at it and of course they couldn't duplicate the experience and installed new batteries without much help.

Has anyone figured this out yet?

• 2 weeks later...
I have not. This only happened to me couple of times, thank God. One thing I did notice, my parent's CRV had the same issue the other day. I had to manually lock the doors. When I went back to the car after about 45 minutes then it worked.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been happening to me since I bought the car. I replaced the batteries in the key fobs and no change. I've had trouble unlocking the car when standing right next to it. It usually takes a few times to get it to work. I feel like it takes many more tries to pop the trunk via remote.

I've considered buying new key fobs off eBay or something but not sure if that'll solve the issue.

What is the air temperature when this happens ?

My wagon has been hot in the hot sun for weeks, the battery was disconected. I put the battery terminal on. The doors unlocked with the fob but the rear hatch would not.

I had to get somethings out of the hatch. I lowered the back seat and reached in a got the very hot, couldn't hold on to them very long jack stands. That's how hot is was out.

A few day's later, air temp is more in the 80's, the hatch works fine.

Got to love your Subaru...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

I've been troubleshooting my '08 Outback remote for weeks (mine is integrated right into the key). Here's what I know:

- Not a battery problem - the battery is always 2.85v or better

- Not a battery connection problem - I've thoroughly cleaned every contact point, bent the leads to ensure firm contact.

- Not a problem with contacts in the buttons - Either all of the buttons don't work, or all of them do.

- Not a receiver problem - my wife's fob /always/ works fine.

- Not interference - Aside from my wife's fob always working, I've experienced this issue WAY out in the country where it's very unlikely that there is other interference

- Possibly a design flaw - bought a used fob on Ebay. Its behaving just like my original!

- The real test - why I think temperature is a factor (easier to prove now that I have 2 problematic fobs): When a fob isn't working, hold it tightly in your hand for 5 minutes, or leave it in the sun...anything to get it above ambient temperature. Once warm try it out. Mine works like a charm! Now set it down and let it cool for 10 minutes or so - completely dead again!

Thought it might be a cold solder joint, took my original fob to a buddy with a hardware lab and he touched up all of the soldering. Didn't help. Not sure what to try next...I might be able to selectively heat various components to find one that's problematic, but it won't really fix the problem. Might have to buy a new fob from Ebay but the odds seem high that I'll get another dud.

Would love to hear if anyone else can reproduce my temperature test results!

• 4 months later...

Hello Bigpilague!

Boy, am I glad you went with all this trouble to scientifically approach the problem.

Needless to say, my Legacy has been developing the same problem. Quite recently, actually.

It' a 2006 2.0 automatic station wagon and two weeks ago, on my way to my parents' for Christmas, the key fob started acting up (first time it's ever happened) as well as the driver's side power window (you know, the "Auto" button becoming very stiff until the window starts stopping halfway down:rolleyes:).

Anyway, here is what I can say.

The outside temperature was between 44°F and 50°F. The weather was rainy and foggy.

1°) Two weeks ago, the temperature was the same with some heavy rain. We left the car on the parking lot after 2 hours of highway driving ; when we came back some 2 hours later, the key fob worked just fine. We drove barely 10 minutes into town and then the car refused to lock itself. It was parked outside a pharmacy and a small shopping center ; while 10 minutes before that, it had been sitting on a huge parking lot, with very few houses and buildings nearby.

2°) Saturday last, it did it again although this time the car refused to unlock when my wife came out of the supermarket with the groceries.

3°) This very morning, with the temperature around 50°F, once again and with some very damp weather, the key fob worked fine upon unlocking and starting the car. My wife drove it 15 minutes and then parked it downtown, in front of a few boutiques : then, it refused to lock itself.

From this, I am afraid I must conclude that the temperature probably hasn't much of an effect on the key fob itself. Looking at example number 3, one might conclude that the fob was fogged up after being taken out of the house and put into the cold and damp air (although not that cold, either). In example 1, the key fob had been sitting in my coat's breast pocket ; in example 2, in my wife's purse (not as warm a place, granted).

Archived