LegacyGT.com

P0021 haaaalp!!

so I've been consistently firing a P0021 code

camshaft actuator position

brought it into Subaru and i was simply told "do an oil change"

then i brought her into another shop and was told

"we can't really figure out what the problem is without full diagnosis"

meaning, I'm about to get ripped for a lot of money for them to simply "figure out" what the code is.

i took out both both of the OCVs, cleaned them up and lubed them up because somewhere on a forum, i read that that was the source of the problem.

so now here I'm running this darn code and trying to figure out how to get rid of it

perhaps i simply need an access port? my car is stage 2 with a full exhaust so sometimes the only option you have is to reset the code

I'm just worried about it causing other problems if this code isn't corrected. the timing belt is new, the oil is changed with synthetic every 3k so the oil isn't dirty

the conclusion i came to is that its the OCV sensor that needs to be replaced. but it looks like the previous owner already did that :/

so idk

That code is one of the death codes for the turbo.

I and lots of us have had the P0011 and P0021 codes, the turbo goes shortly after. My trusted mechanic removed the passenger side banjo filter at that point.

You'll want to remove both banjo filters. There are how to's on here.

I'm thinking your drivers side banjo filter has some crap in it not letting enough oil through.

Listen to how your turbo sounds, mine whined for about 1000 miles, after I got those codes, one morning it whistled, I turned around and drove the 1/2 miles back to the house. Ordered a vf52 that morning. I got lucky, mine did no engine damage. I got 142,000 miles on the OEM turbo.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I checked all three locations where the banjo bolts would be and the previous owner took them out already. i then sprayed the ACVS with WD40, and my car is only running P0021, not P0011.

the turbo sounds completely fine. no whistling, no whining... and when i spoke to the techs at Subaru he simply told me to do an oil change.

im thinking i may just replace both OCV sensors, to be safe. would doing that be ineffective?

can this code possibly be running cause of the exhaust thats on the car?

I checked all three locations where the banjo bolts would be and the previous owner took them out already. i then sprayed the ACVS with WD40, and my car is only running P0021, not P0011.

the turbo sounds completely fine. no whistling, no whining... and when i spoke to the techs at Subaru he simply told me to do an oil change.

im thinking i may just replace both OCV sensors, to be safe. would doing that be ineffective?

can this code possibly be running cause of the exhaust thats on the car?

The exhaust has nothing to do with the oil.

are you able to log? you could always check the 'Intake VVT Advance Angle' L/R parameters on romraider (or get this app+adapter to do so). They should be both in sync (unit is degree). If they are off by several degrees, or not varying in sync, then one of the OCV is bad. I can't recall if the code you're throwing is for passenger or driver side.

That code is one of the death codes for the turbo.

I and lots of us have had the P0011 and P0021 codes, the turbo goes shortly after. My trusted mechanic removed the passenger side banjo filter at that point.

You'll want to remove both banjo filters. There are how to's on here.

I'm thinking your drivers side banjo filter has some crap in it not letting enough oil through.

Listen to how your turbo sounds, mine whined for about 1000 miles, after I got those codes, one morning it whistled, I turned around and drove the 1/2 miles back to the house. Ordered a vf52 that morning. I got lucky, mine did no engine damage. I got 142,000 miles on the OEM turbo.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/142-000-miles-oem-turbo-168561.html

I have seen you post this many times and I have got to give you a big thanks.

I had been taking my car to my trusted mechanic and when the P0021 code came up he replaced the OCV, when it came back he wanted to take apart the cyl head. I asked them to check the banjo bolt filter and they said it wasn't clogged, but I didn't get the code anymore. Unfortunately by that time the turbo developed the whine and I replaced it before it whistled. Had 163,000 miles on the original turbo.

I had the code as well, didn't take that long for my turbo to go. Both the P0011 & P0021 in my case. I have not verified for sure that the turbo is junk, but I'm not going to take the chance at ruining my SB and am putting a rebuilt one on ASAP.

Archived