LegacyGT.com

need to relocate xm radio....ideas?

c-lo

Frickin wife and others who get into the car knock my xm radio every time. figured with the seat back they'd miss it, but guess not. Right now it's mounted to the side of the ac control units with a bracket from my radio store. it's 3m sticked onto the side of the dash.

this is the skyfi unit, so can't put it in the cubby:( . any suggestions????

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

thanks for the help
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

How does the SkyFi sound with the stereo? I assume you are using an FM modulator? I wanna switch my out of my VM but want to make sure its decent. What do you think of it?

the only problem i have is the volume is very low through the included modulator with the XM package. I've got to turn the radio up twice as high to get decent volume.

Sound quality is decent, not great. Basically sounds like a very strong FM station. Installation was a pain in the ass though, becuase you need a speical antenna adapter.

the only problem i have is the volume is very low through the included modulator with the XM package. I've got to turn the radio up twice as high to get decent volume.

Sound quality is decent, not great. Basically sounds like a very strong FM station. Installation was a pain in the ass though, becuase you need a speical antenna adapter.

+1 on that. some stations are louder than others.

+1 on some stations being better than others, but i think thats a product of XM and not the modulator. They just give more bandwidth to some stations than others. The popular music stations get the most, and the tlak stations get the least.

which sucks, becuase the station i always listen to (48 squizz) is one of the quiet ones.

THe lower stations seems to be better - especially the teens and twenties. ( i guess those are the most popular, so they get the most bandwidth)

will the roady fit in the cubby hole?

Do you have a picture of where it is now??

Mine is installed on the center console just below the shifter.

you gotta picture of that? I just ordered from ecost last night.

Here was my solution to installing the roady2 using the cubby area. The roady2 is frustratingly close to fitting inside but a no go, so I rigged up a sheet metal box (cut from spare heating duct) to attach the dash mount to. Covered the box in black electrical tape to help disquise it when installed and also protect the cubby from getting scratch since the box is a tight but slideable fit into the cubby. I removed the rubber liner from the cubby and saved it for when I sell the car. That helped make space for the box and allowed me to drill access holes into the cubby and all the roady wiring enters/exits from the back of the cubby. Note the angle of the photo shows more of the box than can be seen when sitting in the vehicle. Mounted inside the box with velcro you can see the Delphi FM modulator that works great when patched into the antenna line using the Metra antenna cables. The best part of using the cubby location is that you can easily reach the controls and keep eyes on the road and its protected from getting knocked by someone's knees etc....

556893415_road2installed.jpg.99a212d9b262e9c9a3139f4a8c98cec0.jpg

1825780427_roady2mountingsetup.jpg.585b58112bd0d87f5fee9dca4bd5afbb.jpg

thanks! looks good. had thought about doing something similiar.

thats the bracket I have. everyone hits it when they get into my car so I'm going to switch to the roady2 and move it.

Here are the pics. I removed the cubby and took a dremel to create a slot for the Roady fit up into, then used velcro to secure it. I also had to remove the center screw in the door and dremel flat the raised portion where the screw sat to make the door open further.

1765497842_XM(1).jpg.fc915a21826926e1f74cdf29b186619d.jpg

XM.jpg.9d6aa95ff3edec6f17654e7af3e55bda.jpg

382934025_new027.jpg.32046e2b4b99971bd60554c28c459337.jpg

Here are the pics. I removed the cubby and took a dremel to create a slot for the Roady fit up into, then used velcro to secure it. I also had to remove the center screw in the door and dremel flat the raised portion where the screw sat to make the door open further.

Looks really good.. I especially like the channel you're listening to in the first picture. :lol:

Archived