LegacyGT.com

*** TPMS Info Thread ***

SpecBee

K, just got my new aftermarket Winter set of rims & tires with TPMS and the literature states that I have to get the dealer to reset the TPMS system to recognize the new sensors.

I'm not looking to delete the indicator light but am looking for a hack to get the system to reset and sync with the new sensors.

What has everyone with summer/winter sets with TPMS been doing for the last few years? Is disconnecting the battery for 5 min an option? Anything? I wish not to purchase the $199 tool thats noted in the delete thread....

Has anyone taken their car to the dealer every spring and fall for the reset? Does the dealer use the same tool in the delete thread? Too many questions with no answers?

Diagnostic tool linky...

http://subaru.spx.com/pdf/SU07-631.pdf

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got the blinky blink on the display after about 5 miles of driving. I'll park the car in the garage next to the stock set so the supervision will reset. So if I only drive out and back 5 miles then park next to the stock set of rims there's no reason to reset the system other than my families lively hood....;)

Got the blinky blink on the display after about 5 miles of driving. I'll park the car in the garage next to the stock set so the supervision will reset. So if I only drive out and back 5 miles then park next to the stock set of rims there's no reason to reset the system other than my families lively hood....;)

The sensors only send out a signal when they are rotating. Just having them sit next to the car doesn't do anything. The light always comes on after a certain amount of time or distance (haven't figured out which it is yet) of not receiving a signal from any or all sensors. Once you turn the car off, then the same thing will happen the next time you start it.

I guess from the TPM tool that's available the system is not integrated into the ECU and therefore cannot be reset via an AP....

I've seen threads on other sites where it is discussed that if one has an accident due to tire pressure and it is determined by the insurance co. that the owner tinkered with or had wheels without TPMS they would not provide coverage....

Even worse now my wife is annoyed that there is a blinking light when she drives the car. So much for trying to provide a safe ride...:spin:

Where can I get a set of TPMS sensors for my summer tires? Is it a real PITA to run on two sets of sensors?

A web search turned up this tidbit from Subaru's Drive magazine on how TPMS works on our cars:

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Spr05_WhatsInside.htm

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Always one way to find out for sure...let the air out of one of your tires and go for a drive! ;)

Seriously, though...I think you do have it (don't all 05+ GTs have it?) That link was just something I found via google, so it's not a definitive source on the matter - just a good explanation of how the system works.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Always one way to find out for sure...let the air out of one of your tires and go for a drive! ;)

Seriously, though...I think you do have it (don't all 05+ GTs have it?) That link was just something I found via google, so it's not a definitive source on the matter - just a good explanation of how the system works.

gotcha well when these summer tires wear out ill be going to all seasons probably so may not be an issue i like the stock 18s

Yeah, that's one bonus of the Spec.B...your stockers rock. I almost bought a set for my wagon.

yeah i love them, even if I do get winter/summer rims ill most likely get some stock 17s for winter rims...

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe I'm missing something here, but are these wheel sensors glued into the wheels? Or simply bolted at the tire valve interface? When getting new wheels, is it not possible to use the old sensors with the new wheels? Or do we have to purchase new sensors?

Archived