LegacyGT.com

$$ for No.VA Clearing/HID Install?

Hey I've got an '09 LGT just outside DC on the VA side across the river that needs its headlights cleared and my HID kit for low beams installed!

If anyone can help me out ASAP, I can fork over like $75 if you know what you're doing! Midas is trying to charge me $160 for just the HID install.. I think that's absurd considering the DIY threads say it can be done in 20min :spin:

Thx in advance if someone can help me out

Honestly, if you look through the walkthroughs around here it's a pretty straight forward job...don't be afraid to throw the headlights in the oven :)

As for the HID's...don't be afraid to drill a hole in the dust cover, connect all the plugs and secure the ballast with some good tape or zip tie it to something :lol: there is a walkthrough for that too.

Both instructions are very straight forward and make sense to even the least capable.

Why are you taking your car to Midas for anything...let alone an HID install.

It seems mr_luv bailed on me for help installing, or he's been busy or something, people on CL are charging a fortune, called specialized Japanese Auto Places and same thing, same for Midas. I was comparing prices.

Hey guys, i'm in NoVA as well and have been looking to do HIDs for both headlights (low beam) and the fog lights. I have ready many threads about which plug in kit to us but i am getting a bit confused after all the reading. can someone point me to a high quality kit? i don't mind spending a few extra dollars.

also if you guys are around the tysons corner area, i would be more than happy to meet up for a few beers and talk shop.

thanks

first... go to the regional sections of the forum. more likely to get a response. second its one of the easiest mods to do and give yourself some credit and give it a try. almost as plug and play as it can get. third never trust any of those places, i dont get why you would ask them either for an install.

Have you ever used your headlights?

LOL

But yeah the reason I've been calling other places is because I'm not aware of avg price of these kinds of tasks and don't trust myself to do this work on such an expensive thing. This is the first car I'm doing any mods to (I'm 22).

06Limited sounds like he knows what he's doing so we're going to work that out some time soon. For the others looking for similar work in the area, whenever it's done I'll post back on status for whether I recommend him or not so he could possibly come into some more cold hard cash for good work! :lol:

Thanks for all the replies!

Hey guys, i'm in NoVA as well and have been looking to do HIDs for both headlights (low beam) and the fog lights. I have ready many threads about which plug in kit to us but i am getting a bit confused after all the reading. can someone point me to a high quality kit? i don't mind spending a few extra dollars.

thanks

Please for the love of god DO NOT INSTALL HID IN YOUR FOG LIGHTS!!!!! That is not only bad for you, but bad for everyone else. While aftermarket kits for the low beams have their own set of problems with blinding people, the fog lights are FAAAAARRR worse!

In addition to the that, having HID's in your fog lights will not help you in foggy situations and in fact make things worse for you as all the light is scattered about and reflected back to you and on other drivers. There are threads out there about the negative effects on HID kits, and before you put these in, I would at least read them.

Lastly, I really hope you aren't putting a kit in with a kelvin rating over 6000K (which I think is already too high). Stock HID's usually sit around 4300K and are going to be the brightest. Anything higher is less bright, doesn't illuminate well and is more of a distraction.

Sorry for going a little OT, but I really hate when people put HID's in their fogs (and people with 8000K-10000K and higher bulbs. Those colors look stupid and are blinding).

As for installation of these, there are NUMEROUS DIY threads out there and installing these really are quite simple. I would try to do it yourself. Then you can feel a sort of accomplishment afterward that you did it.

Didn't bail on you bud, but not trying to work on cars every weekend family comes 1st when I am free. I need more then a days notice and I dont work on cars other then my own on weekdays. Plan a time when we are both free and I am more then willing to help ya other wise good luck, its really is easy and why are you going to Midas for anything especially lights?
Mr.350

will the HIDs pass the Virginia safety inspection?? thinking of putting them in but dont really wanna uninstall then reinstall them every year

No they won't. IIRC they are not permissible in any state. However with that being said, there are tons of places that won't check things like that. So it's up to you. Once you have these installed, it is not a big deal to switch the bulbs. Simply unplug your HID bulb, unplug the ballast from clip the stock plug would normally clip to and then clip that back to the stock bulb. You can keep all the wiring in there etc. Just make sure no power is going to it (some people will draw power from the stock bulb connector and other will run a separate power line to the battery. But you can leave everything in it. This process shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to switch from HID to stock if you are concerned.

Archived