LegacyGT.com

Alltrack aiming at Subaru owners

spb

The Alltrack is aimed more at Outback buyers with its lifted suspension and body cladding treatment.

What interested me more was the Golf Sportwagen 4Motion. Which is a similar car, just not lifted, or cladded, and is supposed to be available with a six-speed manual transmission soon. It is also a bit less expensive than the Alltrack.

On the con side, it is a made-in-Mexico VW, with less cargo space than my Legacy GT wagon. It is not full-time-AWD, it has the Haldex on-demand system. Also, significantly slower than the Legacy GT wagon, around 8 second 0-60 which is not real impressive.

The Sportwagen 4Motion is about the only game in town, though, if you want a AWD wagon with manual trans that's fun to drive. Subaru seems to have abandoned that niche market.

My father in law was a VW guy for something like 15-20 years. The last three VWs he owned had all of these little electronic gremlins that the dealer could just never, ever fix. He got so fed up that he asked me why I liked Subaru so much. I just told him to go and drive one.

He is on his 5th Subie now. :)

The Legacy is built in Indiana in a plant where Toyota builds the Camry.

Toyota no longer builds the Camry at the Subaru Indiana plant, that ended midway through 2016. Legacy, Outback and Impreza are built in the US (Indiana specifically). The 3 row Ascent will also be built in Indiana when it is release later this year.

The WRX, Forester and BRZ are built in Japan.

Are any VeeDubs built in US?...
The Passat is built in Chattanooga, TN. This is not the exact same Passat they make for Europe, it has been softened and cheapened for "American tastes", making it even more boring than before. No wagon, of course.

Toyota no longer builds the Camry at the Subaru Indiana plant, that ended midway through 2016. Legacy, Outback and Impreza are built in the US (Indiana specifically). The 3 row Ascent will also be built in Indiana when it is release later this year.

The WRX, Forester and BRZ are built in Japan.

Toyota didn't build Camry's at SIA. Subaru built Camry's for Toyota at SIA.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why worry about quality if you trade in for a new car that often? :)

Cuz you want to drive it from time to time instead of using dealer's loaner? Wife's coworker bought brand new passat wagon few years back, poor POS spent more time sitting at the dealer than with the owner.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 4 weeks later...

The alltrack is tiny. I thought about buying one but after finding that an adult can't fit in the back seat with the front seat mid way back... no thanks. My knees were firmly planted onto the back of the passenger seat even with it pretty far forward.

Its much smaller than imprezza on the inside.

Archived