LegacyGT.com

New to Subaru

DustyHell

Hey everyone. I’m new to Subaru and to turbo engines. I have owed a few 240sx Nissans, and am selling my current 240 because my wife and I recently bought a 2005 Legacy GT Limited.

My question is regarding intake and exhaust. We bought the car with what appears to be header back exhaust and SPT intake. Should I have concerns about these two mods as far as the car running properly? To me the car runs great, but I know turbo engines can be tricky, so I just want to make sure all is well. If not, obviously I would like to change it.

I’m not looking for more power, just a reliable car for my wife.

Thanks,

Dustin

With just exhaust you won't run into that much issue running un-tuned, but you won't be using the new parts to their full extent.

A new intake can screw up MAF sensor readings and cause your car to run lean which is not good for the engine at all.

You need to look into a COBB Access Port, thats what AP stands for. Look through vendors and you should find them all about $695, private classifieds normally go for less though.

So at the least I should get rid of the intake? I don't really feal the need to spend $695 on more performance, when I could just downgrade. I know that's weird to want to downgrade, but I'm just not in the spot to be throwing a bunch of money at this car. Id rather it be stock. Thank you all for the comments.

Dustin

I just looked, and it seems to be a catback. The cat is molded with about a 2' long pipe that runs just to underneath the engine? The cel light does not come on while im driving? I did a search to see If I could check the cel codes, but I guess I cant do it myself because I have an 05...is that right?

Dustin

I just looked, and it seems to be a catback. The cat is molded with about a 2' long pipe that runs just to underneath the engine? The cel light does not come on while im driving? I did a search to see If I could check the cel codes, but I guess I cant do it myself because I have an 05...is that right?

Dustin

The factory downpipe is 2 pieces with a cat in each piece plus combined with the factory heat shields. If you have this then per your original post the mods you have are just fine and there is no need to change them. As far as I know you can't check the codes with out a reader of some sort.

I think I'll take a picture of the exhaust this weekend. Just to be sure. So if were to throw a code, the check engine light woulod come on? Or doest it only come on for major things?

Yeah if you throw a code with a turbo back exhaust you'll definitely get a cel.

CBE is easy. Bolt it on and don't worry about it. Like others have said, however, the intake can be troublesome. The factory airbox in our cars are actually quite good and give the motor plenty of air flow. It isn't until well into stage 2 that one may consider another intake (unlike other makes with more restrictive airboxes). Note: The Cobb AP is the way to go if you want to start modding, and the stock maps it comes with warn against using an aftermarket intake. Personally, I would sell the SPT and use the money toward an AP (If you have the stock box to put back in). Otherwise, look up TDC tuning for a custom map to be used in conjunction with your new AP. This is what I use since I have an AEM CAI (cold air intake).

Unlike most vehicles, the mass-air-flow sensor in our cars is located inside the intake tube. An aftermarket intake will cause added turbulance around the MAF sensor causing it to believe it is receiving more air than it really is. The car will then respond by dumping more fuel and you will run too rich and this has many undesirable effects on the motor.

Also, read this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67940

Good luck and happy modding!

Here is the picture I took of the exhaust under the car. Im sure you guys will know what you are looking at. Im just trying to make sure this set up is safe to run untuned (SPT intake and the exhaust shown in the picture)

Yeah thats a stock downpipe, the lower second section. The upper section that connects to the lower section has a cat as well and connects to your turbo. You won't have a problem running the mods you have currently.

Yeah thats a stock downpipe, the lower second section. The upper section that connects to the lower section has a cat as well and connects to your turbo.
correct

You MAY NOT have NOTICEABLE problems running the mods you have currently.
fixored!

Everyone keep refering to modding, the guy just wants a properly operating car.

You seem to have just an Intake and Exhaust. Your car will be fine as is, the intake is pretty crappy but if you can tolerate the noise your fine. The exhaust however has no problems what so ever, once again if you can tolerate the noise you are fine.

If you want so sell the two just post it up in the the classifieds with your location. Im am sure there will be locals willing to trade + some $$$ on their end. Happy de-modding!

Archived