LegacyGT.com

Mixing Snow Tyres

Claw

I bought a set of Michelin X-Ice 2's a few years ago.

Long story short, I had one of them patched and they did such a poor job patching it that the tyre leaked slowly.. brought it back to the shop that did the fix and they claimed that I took the tyre elsewhere, as "nobody in my shop would have done such a bad quality job" so they're not doing anything about it. That was the manager I was talking to.

So, as the XI2's are no longer available, can I swap in a pair of X-Ice3's?

Would it be an issue running two X-Ice2's up front and two X-Ice3's in the rear, or should I be best buying a whole new set, which I'd rather not do?

I'd be worried about a size difference from treadwear. IIRC, Subaru wants no more than 1/4 inch difference in circumference (not diameter) between tires to prevent problems with the AWD.

It really doesn't take much wear to cause that little difference.

If they aren't very worn, you might be able to have the new tires shaved down to match the size. If they are worn, I'd bite the bullet and get all 4 new.

Do NOT mix tires, even if you measure them to be the same circumference. Different tires will wear, flex, expand, contract, etc. differently. Even brand new tires of the same size but different brand will be different sizes.

Augh crap.. thanks guys, confirmed what I knew.. but I just don't have budget for a new set of tyres this year.. maybe I'll fish for a used tyre of the same size and have mine (or the other) shaved to match.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hrm.. Conti EWC for $123 ea or General Altimax Artics for $118 ea? Both are rated highly, and the $5 difference per tire is fairly negligible, so which one is "better"? I guess the gold standards are Blizzaks and X-Ice xi3's, but there aren't any direct comparisons with the General Altimax Artics.

I had Continental TS 740 snow tires on my Accord in the 1980s. Super snow tires and the first to use "thermogummi" which Conti pioneered. When the Nokians wear out in another season, Continental will be my replacement choice. BTW, Continental owns General.

It's a little bit cheaper if you switch to 205/50 17.

100 for Generals, 115 for the Conti EWC

If I were choosing between those 2, I'd go with the Conti EWC. Better handling when is not snowy. I'm guessing they don't directly compare the 2 because the Generals are studdable.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Blizzak WS70 in 205/50-17 are on closeout at Tirerack for $111 each

As a comparison, Discount Tire Direct on Ebay has Altimax for $372 shipped. After shipping (to upstate NY), the WS70's at TireRack are $457.

The Altimax Artics were amazing on my 2.5i in rather snowy Syracuse winters, so I have no issue sticking with them and pocketing the $80.

• 1 month later...
The General Altimax Arctic is very close to the Hankook Winter IPike. The General is a re-branded Gislaved NordFrost 3. Continental owns both General and Gislaved.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived