LegacyGT.com

Blown away

Well i just finished my round trip from San Diego to Tucson in my new Legacy and i was wondering if anybody noticed how easely it get tossed around in the wind. It got real windy climbing over the mountian crossing into imperial county and it was hard just trying to keep the car in my lane. it really took me off gaurd. It reminded me of when i drive my 77 vw van. anyway i was wondering when i lower my legacy in the near future will this help it out??

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah..the car is really light. I was surprised the first time I experienced this over a bridge.

you just gotta figure that it is going to be pushed around a bit from high winds.

light? i thought it was heavy compared to other cars in its class... interesting...

light? i thought it was heavy compared to other cars in its class... interesting...

It's 3365 lbs. Pretty light for a sedan in my opinion. By comparison, edmunds.com says the Infinity G35X weighs 4742 lbs. :confused: (I'm thinking that's a typo)

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26613

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23266

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19347

i searched "wind" and "freeway" and got these hits and probably more

its definitely something i have noticed. i am now running 8" wide tires and upgraded suspension(coilovers) and it still gets tossed around.....it must be the weight i assume....since aerodynamcs aren't blatantly abhorrent

Hmmm...does this only happen if the wind is hitting the LGT at a certain angle? I ask because I drove across Wyoming on I-80 last year and didn't have an issue with the side winds. I didn't even realize how windy it was until I got out of my LGT at a rest area and almost got blown over. FWIW, the LGT seems pretty solid to me in the wind, which is why I ask about the wind angle relative to the car.

it is susceptible to wind buffeting so you definitely need (2) hands on the wheel but its not to bad really I drove through a sand storm for a few hours..just depends on the angle of the wind when you feel it worse..but then again which cars do well in that kind of wind anyway?

Hmmm...does this only happen if the wind is hitting the LGT at a certain angle? I ask because I drove across Wyoming on I-80 last year and didn't have an issue with the side winds. I didn't even realize how windy it was until I got out of my LGT at a rest area and almost got blown over. FWIW, the LGT seems pretty solid to me in the wind, which is why I ask about the wind angle relative to the car.

I don't know what these other guys are talking about. Up here in Cody, Wyoming we get real winds. Blow the semi tractor and trailer off Hwy 120 and I've got 100MPH wind guaranteed shingles on my roof winds. I have never raked or swept my yard winds. As far as I know, there must be a mountain of Wyoming debris piled against a wall somewhere in South Dakota.

I have NEVER thought the Legacy couldn't handle crosswinds. It has always been stable, even in steady 40 MPH crosswinds. Sure, I had to tack into the wind with my steering wheel being turned about 5 degrees, but the car was stable....I was eating a cheeseburger at the time.

:lol:

Boy you are really making friends on here.

:rolleyes:

No one said the LGT couldnt handle crosswinds. Just that you feel it a little more than you do in some other cars, and that can be disconcerting the first time you experience it.

What car would be better in crosswinds?:lol:

Damn thats a little harsh man.

Face it. Most owners mix and match components. Often nice powder coating or price is more important than performance. Name one forum member that modded his suspension, got is aligned at a race shop and then bothered to dial it in on a race track. (That's what I did with my '04 Mach 1 and I started with matched components from Maximum Motorsports.)

The guys on this site play with tuners, adjusting their engine computers often without a chassis dyno. What makes you think any more time and effort is devoted to suspension?

You seriously dont see how a lighter car (which the LGT is) contributes to it being pushed around more than one that is heavier?

:confused:

Frontal and side areas and their related drag coefficients are far more important than weight. Just ask the driver of that 40 ton semi than got blown off the road up here last month.

Besides, what makes you think our cars are light? My 1972 Fiat 2 door sedan weighed 1860 lbs. My 1983 Rabbit GTI was under 2,000 lbs.

^ My car is stock with less than 5k miles on it and I have experienced this same feeling. My belief is that it is a combination of the following: 1) tall, softly damped suspension; 2) Negative scrub radius from the factory; 3) Inconsistent/improper caster.

My plan to fix these issues:

1) adjustable ride height coilovers w/ swaybar upgrade as needed

2) Slightly higher offset wheels (to increase scrub radius into the positive... this is a balancing act with ride height)

3) Fulcrum LCA bushing set to increase caster and keep it consistent

Besides, what makes you think our cars are light?

+1

WTF are you guys smokin? The LGT is a fat assed pig.

It has everything to do with aerodynamics, tires, alignment and being a noob driving your first new car and over thinking everything.

Did the wind blow you off the road, tumble you over the edge of a cliff where your car exploded in big fireball? No? Then just drive the fuggin thing and stop ****** whining.

:hide:

Well i just finished my round trip from San Diego to Tucson in my new Legacy and i was wondering if anybody noticed how easely it get tossed around in the wind. It got real windy climbing over the mountian crossing into imperial county and it was hard just trying to keep the car in my lane. it really took me off gaurd. It reminded me of when i drive my 58 vw panel van. anyway i was wondering when i lower my legacy in the near future will this help it out??

Wind speed? Temp?

Cold air is a whole lot more dense then warmer air. A cold gusty breeze over 25mph bounces anything around. Especially when it gets funneled down cuts from fields, river valleys, etc.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

It's 3365 lbs. Pretty light for a sedan in my opinion. By comparison, edmunds.com says the Infinity G35X weighs 4742 lbs. :confused: (I'm thinking that's a typo)

Typo......3742

Still when comparing size of cars the LGT is on the lighter side.

Never had a issue with crosswinds tires & suspension upgrades FTW:):)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

i do have the same problem with my car and i am lowered about an inch. my car seems to have a really jumpy ass. when i looked underneath the car the rear bumper is pretty long underneath, so that will reduce drag, but i bet it became a huge liftzone underneath the trunk.

I don't know what these other guys are talking about. Up here in Cody, Wyoming we get real winds. Blow the semi tractor and trailer off Hwy 120 and I've got 100MPH wind guaranteed shingles on my roof winds. I have never raked or swept my yard winds. As far as I know, there must be a mountain of Wyoming debris piled against a wall somewhere in South Dakota.

I have NEVER thought the Legacy couldn't handle crosswinds. It has always been stable, even in steady 40 MPH crosswinds. Sure, I had to tack into the wind with my steering wheel being turned about 5 degrees, but the car was stable....I was eating a cheeseburger at the time.

What eva dude....my LGT feels like my truck in cross winds

Archived