LegacyGT.com

Private Sale or Trade-In?

bman

I'm hoping I'm breaking any of the forum rules by asking this:

My family has grown by 2 children since I bought my '05 LGT and although I can fit 2 carseats and my wife in the car, there's times when we need more room (dog, other family members, etc.). So we're shopping for a minivan. Today a dealer offered me $9K as a trade-in. I think it's fair considering he won't give me anything for the Stage 2 setup (UP,DP, Cobb AP) or any extras (Hella Supertones, AVO filter, etc.). I won't have time to remove and sell off all of the stuff. I'd rather sell to a forum member but, I don't see much movement in the car sale section.

Should I try my Legacy privately or should I take the trade-in offer?

Thanks,

Brian

• I Donated Too

I think it's a fair price but I have 3 kids, a wife, a minivan AND the 05 Legacy GT. I think you will be very sad if you let the Legacy go... is that an Outback I see you have there too? Well if you need a sacrifice, I say you should keep the Legacy... but then we would right?

The Sienna Minivan is quite quick though... for a minivan. It's not all bad. Don't get a crappy one... the best are more expensive but they have a better chance of surviving the growing years of your family! Good luck!!

I would trade it in for that price. In my state, the sale tax paid is the difference from new car and trade in. So 30k car with 9k trade in would be charged sales tax on 21k. So that is over 500 difference vs not having trade in.

Does the Leggy really have to go? IMO a minivan should essentially have at least a dvd player. You have kids & I'm pretty sure you know what wonders dvd players can do. Get a basic & reliable trim then go aftermarket dvd. Might be around 10K difference in price from a high end trim. Besides, hard working daddy would need his playtime too - hence justying the Leggy. 0.02¢

• I Donated Too

I agree with the DVD players but I recommend installing aftermarket/buying inexpensive portable ones. If the one in the car breaks and they do, they're a PITA to repair/get repaired. "Cheap" DVD players from glossy manufacturers such as Craig or COBY are all the rage with the kids and 7" Craig units take SD cards and have played every single format I've put on there, those sneaky Chinese! I can compress dozens of DVD's onto one 4G SD card, the quality looks soft at that compression but get a bigger card and less compression or just cheap it out all the way! Kids do not care and go just as quiet plus they break their s**t ALL the time especially the DVD's you buy them! Craig 7" DVD player $80 each, no DVD's in the car, priceless.

DVD players obviously run on their battery for hours too which is handy for hotel rooms on family vacation however I ran 12v feeds to the seats and installed outlets for the players at each seat (parts from Radio Shack). The 12v feed lines were already close by each seat for various 'expensive' options my minivan didn't have, so the wires are all neat and clean and they hang on the headrests and the kids are QUIET on long journeys.

Sometimes you want your kids to not watch stuff too, because you want them to pay attention out the window at the view you're bothering to drive them through or because they gave you fresh mouth that morning and you need to relieve them of the pleasure of having nice things to learn them up. Any fixed installation is a distraction and they will try to defy you so being able to pull the players is a good idea!

Thanks for confirming my thought, "It's a reasonable offer". It still is depressing to give up the car to a dealer. Like dropping a pet at a shelter. I'd much rather sell to a person who wants the car.

With that said should I leave the Stage 2 stuff or should I try to take it off? The Cobb AP needs to stay w/ the car with the UP&DP otherwise the CEL will go on.

Well it sounds like you're pretty much decided with the "pet shelter". I'd say the time to take the aftermarket stage 2 components off would be a crucial factor for the simple fact that you can sell them separately as part out. Car would be traded in closest to stock, reflashed back to stock map & unmarry AP. I see a lot in the FS threads sellers not making that much monetary value out of the additional installed upgrades.

Notwithstanding, I'd still try & exhaust every possible solution to keep the leggy.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you given any thought to trading the OB rather than the GT? If the GT is your car and the OB is being driven by your wife, then chances are your wife will be the one driving either the van or the OB (just an assumption.) Of course there are other things to consider that we don't know about, such as if your car is a standard and if you frequently swap cars or need the drive-ability etc. I'm just trying to throw other things into the mix that may help you think.

As for minivans, if you have 2 kids and need just occasional space for a dog or other family, have you considered a Mazda5? They're great to drive and are compact but fit 6 when needed. It's probably one of the most underrated cars out there, but if I had a family that would be on my list of possible vehicles. They have sliding doors for car seats and can be had with a manual tranny if that's on the list. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Riwm8sP-0]Mazda5 Review from Consumer Reports - YouTube[/ame]

Just all kinds of things to think about really, keep your options open. Private sales will always net you more cash, but I think the price they gave you is reasonable as well.

• Moderators
Find a local wrencher and make a deal for him/her to uninstall the parts for you and put everything back to stock. Pay them with a bit of cash or some of the parts and trade your car in for the same $9k then sell the rest of the parts. Just a thought.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well the deal fell through. Dealer sold the minivan out from under us. Not disappointed considering the van smelled like a barn (literally) and had big dent in the tailgate. Wound up buying an Odyssey from an Albany dealer.

I appreciate the enthusiasm guys! If only there were the same energy motivating buyers! ;)

I have a couple thoughts......

As a father and a driver for my kids/wife etc. When your kids are in school, you're going to find......

A: Every other family has a mini-van or Suburban and mothers who don't work and are happy to take your kids along, when everyone is going on a play date. You don't need to own a school bus.

B: If you and your kids and your wife and your in-laws and your neighbor all want to go to the beach, guess what? Your mini van will be short 1 seat and you'll have to take 2 cars anyways. Start out right. Keep the LGT and let the in-laws drive separately. We've done that many times.

C: The dealer was likely NOT giving you $9k for your car. He was giving you $6k and you were overpaying for the van. Seriously.....$9k for an 05 as a trade? That's retail sale price. Dealers are not "nice".....giving you great trades. He's hosing you on the van.

If you want a larger car, why not something like a Ford Taurus? AWD and they are huge inside. Or even a new Outback. They're huge everywhere. Or an Altima....again....huge on the inside. If you're dead set on a minivan, look carefully into the crash ratings. They don't have to meet car standards and don't.

Archived