LegacyGT.com

Weather stripping in a 2008

Is anyone else having a helluva time with their weather stripping around the windows? Mine seems to be chronic on the drivers side. It started coming out of the back shortly after I bought the car, it began dropping over the driver's window (pic) a few weeks ago, and just a couple days ago it began coming off the back window again. They've replaced the piece once already - is this just a problem I have to deal with for the life of the car? This seems like it's too simple to consistently screw up...

IMG_0506.JPG.f83626cf6ef0bc44bfbabf62cfa15e42.JPG

Mounting tabs? Aren't they usually a press-fit?

They are press fit, and a PITA to get in there right. Some of the PNW guys installed JDM rain visors (which require removal of the weather stripping), and it took four of us about 20 min to figure out how to get them back in there right, even with the vacation pics to assist. Unless the doorjam is misformed (which could be easily confirmed by puling out the weather stripping and looking at the locking channel), they should fit in there securely after some manhandling. Take it to another dealer if the techs can't get it in there right.

They are press fit, and a PITA to get in there right. Some of the PNW guys installed JDM rain visors (which require removal of the weather stripping), and it took four of us about 20 min to figure out how to get them back in there right, even with the vacation pics to assist. Unless the doorjam is misformed (which could be easily confirmed by puling out the weather stripping and looking at the locking channel), they should fit in there securely after some manhandling. Take it to another dealer if the techs can't get it in there right.

3 times into dealers - 3 different dealers - 2 states. Byers Mazda Subaru in Dublin, OH, Bob Baker Subaru in Carlsbad, CA, and Kearny Mesa Hyundai Subaru in San Diego. With such consistent failure, maybe my doorjam IS muffed up.

3 times into dealers - 3 different dealers - 2 states. Byers Mazda Subaru in Dublin, OH, Bob Baker Subaru in Carlsbad, CA, and Kearny Mesa Hyundai Subaru in San Diego. With such consistent failure, maybe my doorjam IS muffed up.

Get some vacation pics and take a look at it yourself.

I had the same problem with my RR a few years back. There is a groove that the stripping fits into. Mine was almost, but not quite in there and it leaked like a sive when you drove in a heavy rain. I took it part of the way out, and then re-installed it. It's not that hard, I'm guessing that the either the groove is messed up some way(too wide perhaps?) or the stripping is damaged. There is no adhesive required that I coudl tell.

This should not be a complicated fix....

Archived