LegacyGT.com

How do I run power to the Cubby?

mcumeda

I am trying to figure out how to run power to the cubby. I am not an engineer or anything like that nor am I that handy. But if someone could detail how to run a power supply to the cubby, I would appreciate it.

You have to find a constant 12V+ source. If you don't know how to be sure you've got a safe wire inside the car, you can go straight to the battery. Regardless of where you grab your power, you MUST put a fuse within a few inches of the wire you tap into. Find out how many amps your device draws and put a slightly larger fuse in the fuse-holder. Then, drill your own self tapping screw into bare metal for your ground and make damn sure it's solid. A bad ground is a dumb reason to have problems. Also, make sure the gauge of wire you run from your power source to the cubby is sufficient for the power you will draw and length of your wire. Whatever you do, don't screw up your car.

The way I did it was to buy a long ass cord for my GPS. Then I took apart my center console (links are on this site if you search). I drilled a hole on the inside of my center console, in the side of the base where the electrical outlet is. I then ran the cord under the shifter, up the side of the radio (I remioved the screws, stuck it behind the left side, put the screws back in).

I then pulled out the center cubby and drilled a small hole in the back/ top of the cubbie (you can't see the hole if the wire is ever removed). Fair warning- make sure your angle of this hole is correct- mine wasn't and I marred up the back a the cubby the drill bit.

I simply plug the GPS into the outlet in the center console.

The wires are hiden. When I go someplace and I want to hide the GPS, I simply unplug it, pull it out and sick it in my center console. If I ever need the center console outlet, I just unplug the GPS cord. You can eaven adcd a splitter if you need to.

Is this the "right" way of doing it? No. That said, it was quick. I didn't need to add fues, find grounds, cut wires, etc. It is really plug and play.

Rip it out and drill a small hole in the top in a back corner. Don't overthink it, just do it. I have my Sirius tuner in my cubby and ran my wires that way. You can't see the wiring at all, just the way I like it. If you ever take your junk out, you'd never notict the small hole either.

I am just looking to run power to a GPS... I don't want wires all over the place

If you are just looking to hide the wires, here's what I did:

I plugged the gps power into center consul.

Ran the wire out and tucked tucked it inside the passenger side of the center consul.

Fished up the wire behind/next to the radio and then into/thru the cubby. This can be done w/o drilling or cutting the cubby.

If you look at the cubby door in the Closed position, there is a gap on the inside top of the cubby where you can squeeze the plug thru.

The way I did it was to buy a long ass cord for my GPS. Then I took apart my center console (links are on this site if you search). I drilled a hole on the inside of my center console, in the side of the base where the electrical outlet is. I then ran the cord under the shifter, up the side of the radio (I remioved the screws, stuck it behind the left side, put the screws back in).

I then pulled out the center cubby and drilled a small hole in the back/ top of the cubbie (you can't see the hole if the wire is ever removed). Fair warning- make sure your angle of this hole is correct- mine wasn't and I marred up the back a the cubby the drill bit.

I simply plug the GPS into the outlet in the center console.

The wires are hiden. When I go someplace and I want to hide the GPS, I simply unplug it, pull it out and sick it in my center console. If I ever need the center console outlet, I just unplug the GPS cord. You can eaven adcd a splitter if you need to.

Is this the "right" way of doing it? No. That said, it was quick. I didn't need to add fues, find grounds, cut wires, etc. It is really plug and play.

This is your best bet.

Archived