LegacyGT.com

DC/VA - brake replacement help?

z28dreams

Hi all,

The front brakes on my '05 legacy GT are about shot, and I need to replace them.

The last time I replaced them I had someone walk me through it. I think I could manage on my own again with some supervision if someone is willing to volunteer! Mostly looking to make sure I do everything right - last time I don't think we opened up the bleeder valve. They also squealed a bit.

The main problem is I have only street parking and limited tools, so I was hoping I could find someone with a garage/tools that I could borrow.

I'd be happy to provide lunch/beer/etc for your time. I have nothing but free time, and could stop by at your convenience.

Thanks!

-Z

Hey man where do you live? You are replacing pads or rotors or both? Here is my recent thread about doing this "everyday" style (parking lot, street side etc). Really not a bad job a few wrenches and cheat pipe and bam!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-suspension-spring-install-guide-206474.html?t=206474&highlight=suspension

Hey man where do you live? You are replacing pads or rotors or both? Here is my recent thread about doing this "everyday" style (parking lot, street side etc). Really not a bad job a few wrenches and cheat pipe and bam!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-suspension-spring-install-guide-206474.html?

t=206474&highlight=suspension

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm in Arlington near courthouse/rosslyn metro, but am willing to drive wherever.

I'm leaning towards doing the pads only, since the rotors were replaced at 33k miles or so. I don't really know a good rule of thumb for when rotors should be replaced, but I know I've had issues before when I just tried to do the pads.

I have a ratchet and some deep socket sets, but no small wrenches/breaker bars/jack stands/etc.

There is no rule of thumb for rotor replacement. They must meet the minimum thickness spec. At only 33k they're probably ok as the oem rotors are pretty good. I would probably have them turned though.

The rotors were actually replaced at 32k miles, and the car is at 42k or so, so they only have around 10k miles on them. I'm hoping to avoid turning them, think they'll be ok?

Apparently the pads are down to 3-4mm or so, so I want to do this soon. I do nearly all city driving, but am kind of surprised that my pads were worn down in only 10k miles. I thought most lasted ~ 25-30k. Even with no highway driving, I would have expected them to last 15-20k.

The rotors were actually replaced at 32k miles, and the car is at 42k or so, so they only have around 10k miles on them. I'm hoping to avoid turning them, think they'll be ok?

Look at them once you have them off the car to know for sure but you're probably fine without turning them.

• Moderators
If scheduling works you're welcome to stop by my place in Springfield to do the job. I could be available to "supervise" and can provide anti-squeal and brake lube for free--probably have enough of that to last a lifetime, lol.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived