LegacyGT.com

06 2.5i AT Problems

I have a 2006 2.5i with an automatic and 99,000 miles. The tranny pretty much has a mind of its own when doing city driving. It upshifts when it needs to downshift and downshifts when it needs to upshift. And it has a very rough shift. I have changed the fluid. Anyone else experience problems with this tranny?

I believe thats just how the 4EAT is. It hates its life and hates its job, so it does it poorly.

Have you tried driving in sport mode? If you're driving a bit "quickly" it seems do to a much better job.

LOL! I agree with you Phila, I think it does just hate it's life! I do drive it in sport mode but even when I shift it takes a second to catch, and when it does, it's hard. I hate automatic period but took this car over from my wife when my civic died. Other than the tranny, it's a great car.

The 4EAT is a beastly dinosaur of a transmission.... absolutely hate it and it is ruining my enjoyment of the car. What you are describing is normal 4EAT behavior. The good news is it is a pretty trouble free transmission and should last a very long time with regular fluid changes.

I've had no issues with mine (knocks on wood). It shifts smoothly,and never hunts for a gear. Then again we have no hills in Florida, but even when I lived in NY it acted the way it supposed to.

I wish we did have a more sophisticated tranny, but if it means that it will last a long time being ancient, then I'll take that!

X

---

Probably, but it's the only way I'm satisfied driving the car. I drove a manual for 18 years before the auto. I find the regular D just brutal.....I rarely, if ever, actually shift it myself, just like the higher shift points and little bit earlier downshifts when needed. On the highway cruising there's no difference.

I don't use sport mode all the time. Unfortunately for me, once I really get going, I have to slam on the brakes because someone cuts me off (without a turn signal). i like to use it when I first get on the Turnpike. It drops my MPG by about 2 points. That's ok, I'm still having fun!

I noticed that when slow down and make a turn, then hit the gas, it revs real quick then finds the gear. Also, if I pull away from a stop, it will get to third gear before I even hit 25 mph. It gets really annoying! I'm trying to talk the wife into lettin me sell it and get a 2011 Legacy with the 6MT :argue:

Archived