LegacyGT.com

removed engine for headgaskets, torque converter came with

naimouasta

was doing timing belt and headgaskets on a 2008 outback with 4eat.

when i pulled the motor (following the FSM) i didnt realize there was a special tool (smh i overlooked) to hold in the torque converter.

so when i pulled the motor the torque converter came with the motor.

atf came pouring out of the torque converter and transmission.

did i damage anything?

i've been scouring the internet, and it seems everything should be ok as long as i install the torque converter correctly before mating the engine to the transmission. if the torque converter is not fully seated which i install the motor i can crack the transmission oil pump. is what i gathered correct?

I believe that is correct.

do you have the service manual ?

It's been since the 1970's since I worked on a automatic car,but you need to install the TC in the right spot. With the motor out, practise putting it on the tranny.

Then install the engine, slide the TC back to the flex plate.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That is normal for ATF to come out if you removed it like that. Max is right you will have to remove the torque convertor from the flex plate.

Install the torque convertor into the trans then bolt the engine back in place. Make sure the torque convertor is fully seated or you will have huge problems. You will feel it drop into place once its installed correctly.

Archived