LegacyGT.com

What is a Rattle/buzz?

thepdmm

I am a pretty picky person, I actually had a 2004 Acura TSX that I partly traded for my 05 Legacy because of a door rattle and other squeaks and other reasons that don't matter really matter. But rattles played a part in the TSX and me going our separate ways.

But now I have some "noise" in my car around the B-pillar and/or the passenger door. the only time I KNOW I can hear it is the stereo tuned up really loud while listening to the end of a song like Green Day's "Wake me up when September Ends" song. Now what I can't tell yet is if it can be helped or not. Is it a buzz (resonation) or is it a rattle?

I guess my question is what do most people call a rattle or buzz or something just can't be helped?

I mean how many people on an average road on an average day; hear the sounds that they get so upset about in these websites?

I don't want to take away from anybody that is currently upset about there Rattles. I understand that some rattles are for sure 100% unacceptable. I have been there so I would be a hypocrite if I said you were over reacting. But I am trying to figure out if by reading someone’s posting am I increasing the changes that I am over reacting? Ya my car MIGHT make a noise in 20 degree weather for a while or buzz when I have the perfect song on turned up really loud? And if I play the same few notes again over and over again, that is annoying. But when does that happen? And is a bit of noise bad?

And if so how much money would one have to spend to get a car not to rattle. I know a guy that has a CarreraGT that thing makes more noise then a tambourine. But damn can it fly! Yet at the same time I bet the big wheels and stiff suspension have a lot to do with the cars noises but if you had a CarreraGT would you have it any other way?

I guess I am just kind of looking for what you all define as acceptable/normal, or if you all think that a car should be silent of all noise?

Thanks

Archived