LegacyGT.com

BNR16G Boost surge...

Recently picked up a BNR16G from bryan to replace my vf40 with a stuck wastegate. Well after doing a pull for cryo to tune the turbo we found out i have boost creep. With the wastegate actuator hooked up directly to the compressor housing on the turbo, I am getting upto 19psi of boost(on a 13psi wastegate actuator!) My injectors are maxing out(stock, thats why I got the 16g vs 18 or 20g) and its very unsafe to go over 15psi of boost.

Now, my question is, has anyone had any issues like this??? I would hate to spend the money on a EWG setup, because that is exactly why I got the new turbo instead of welding my vf40 wastegate shut.

Should I waste my time porting the wastegate, or try to add more restriction in my exhaust?

My parts list:

Full 3" catless turboback

bnr16g

infamous oil lines

cryotune

perrin inlet

innovate mtxl afr

innovate boost gauge

what other problems could i possibly have to make a turbo boost like that? Bryan says wastegate is fine(sent him a video.) He did say something about some newer casings having smaller wastegates. Here is the quote:

"That looks like normal actuation. The wastegate may need a port job. I did a batch at this time period that had smaller ports. I started porting them a couple months back. 15 psi isn't too much boost but if you want less boost, porting is the solution. If you can tune it rich at 15, it should be okay like that in my opinion.

An lower psi actuator will not help."

Here are the videos i sent him:

pump to 20psi

close from 20psi

1168533824_LearningView_SS_A2WF200C_2014-03-28151529.jpg.deb62a330ab5b8c24e86162cae46c954.jpg

It appears some of the bnr16gs with the new castings were designed with a smaller wastegate port thus causing boost creep at 0% wgdc. This is a mechanical limitation that's not something that can be tuned around unfortunately.

There are only a couple options unfortunately.

1. Port the waste gate as Bryan recommends

2. Install new bigger than stock injectors so a proper amount of fuel can be supplied but still have creep and control issues *stock injectors are at 100+ IDC*

3. Install an ewg and have proper control via correct spring pressure

4.try a more restrictive exhaust but no guarantees.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• Moderators
If your turbo had the bnr compressor housing send it in. My injectors max out at 15psi at 5k+rpm. 107% injector duty cycle at that point. leak down testing and compression testing tomorrow then pulling turbo to save time vs just pulling turbo and seeing the inevitable.

Yeah, it has the new housing. Not so concerned about IDC since I'll have aftermarket fueling, but I still don't want my tuner (Cryo, same as you) to have to deal with boost creep.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Might be going built like you did before if its the rings.

Just to be clear, I don't have a built motor. In the next few months I should have a 16g with just about every bolt-on possible, but now rebuild of the motor. At that point I'll hopefully stick with what I have for a good while (although that's doubtful :lol:). However, if something breaks I'll probably build the motor and then go bigger--at that point the *only* thing I'll need to do is build the motor and swap a bigger turbo.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Did a compression test on the engine pretty much cold and got 90,90,90,91. That was with throttle plate open AND closed, so its probably the shitty harbor freight gauge.

After finding out everything was alright, no oil on plugs, no burnt plugs i went ahead and pulled the downpipe. Well pictures will show you the ammount of oil in there AFTER i stuck my hand in there to check it out.

Turbo has NO play, but quiet obviously lost a seal. Going to pull it tomorrow, sucks working in the driveway when its raining(been raining since i blew it up, today, and tomorow yay!)

IMG_20140330_160803_879.thumb.jpg.36d9d8ed3fb1f761858a8ccbc44c919f.jpg

IMG_20140330_160830_083.thumb.jpg.5b74051c04f85ebe5c84d8f11e6f2174.jpg

IMG_20140330_160258_952.thumb.jpg.d3035481114f2ea56b25df2fa76ea38e.jpg

Archived