LegacyGT.com

Looking for an 05-06 and 07-09 LGT to tune

Hey guys - We're interested in working a deal with a couple local LGT owners on tuning their STOCK car. We would like to offer the LGT community a stage 1 map to obviously gain more power and torque, but to also remedy the nasty hesitation that everyone talks about.

We came to this realization recently with a Spec B we tuned. The customer had an SPT intake and catback, and saw a pretty nice jump in power and torque, and the hesitation was removed. The customer was pretty excited. But since he had the subtle mods on there, we can only offer that map to those with the same mods.

Cost and Compatibility: These Stage 1 maps would run around $175, and would work with a Cobb AP, or Ecutek software.

What we need: one 05-06 LGT, and one 07-09 LGT

What you will get: A GREAT deal on a protune from Mr. Bill Knose himself.

If you're interested - please email Brad at sales@crawfordperformance.com. We can discuss the details further over email.

Let me reiterate we need a BONE STOCK (catback OK) LGT to tune. I've had a few inquiries of already modified cars, so I just want to clear things up.

• 2 weeks later...
I assume the hesitation you refer to is the same as the stutter/studder people report.

How sue are you it's software and not hardware as the root of the problem?

Hi,

My name is William Knose and I have been tuning Subaru OEM ECU's for about 10 years now. Along with a Computer Science, Math degree and a fair knowledge of EPA guidelines imposed on all vehicle manufacturers it is very easy to see within the ECU what the OEM manufacturer is doing.

Here is something similar we (Dan Gardner and I) logged and analyzed back in 2004 with the hesitation in relation to the 2004 and 2005 Subaru WRX. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671294

In order to tune this out (above post), adjustments needed to be made to the mapping to control the switch between Closed Loop to Open Loop Conditions. Of course when making these changes we are still concerned about keeping MPG relatively consistent, so it took some time to dial it in.

We recently tuned a 2008 Spec B (that has probably one of the worse cases of hesitation I have ever experienced) and removed about 95% of the hesitation but the remaining 5% the customer stated he does not even feel or notice. The reason we did not remove 100% hesitation is because there still needs to be a transition between Closed Loop to Open Loop, otherwise your MPG will go down the toilet, Australian Style.

This is not only an issue in the Legacy's but many other Subaru's including the 1999-2002 RS, which has a nasty, what feels like turbo lag hesitation issue in the mid power band (the car does not come turbo’ed). We are the only company to have resolved this issue for these vehicles and even improved MPG.

There is also an issue is also in the 2007 STI which had a pretty annoying hesitation that has now also been resolved. And even the new 2010 Legacy GT's have hesitations issues which are also in the map, but happen to be something completely different then the problems mentioned above, once again resolved. It is a never ending battle to make the EPA happy. :)

As for the actual throttle body, the throttle body itself is controlled completely by the engine management system. All throttle bodies are nearly identical on all Subaru's (especially WRX and Legacy GT owners) and if there was a problem with the Legacy GT throttle bodies there would also be problem on the WRX (which uses the same throttle body). I have not seen a hesitation issue on the WRX's as of yet and doubt I will see one. So this is another fact that allows us to further prove the problem resides within the engine management system. it is not really Subaru's fault as they NEED to follow the regulations of the EPA in order to sell vehicles and this is what causes these annoying hesitations.

I hope this helps explain why we know, not believe, but actually know it is in the engine management system.

Cheers,

William Knose

Crawford Performance

The hesitation you refer to is a delay from when you press the pedal until something noticeable happens

the stutter/studder is the car jerking back and forth for no apparent reason when you hold the throttle steady. My car does this very severly, and will even do it under off throttle deceleration. logs don't show anything

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The hesitation you refer to is a delay from when you press the pedal until something noticeable happens

the stutter/studder is the car jerking back and forth for no apparent reason when you hold the throttle steady. My car does this very severly, and will even do it under off throttle deceleration. logs don't show anything

Ok,

What system do you have to log with and would you mind sending us some logs?

Is this something that has always been there sicne you purchased the vehicle, something that has progessively become worse or just recently came about?

What RPM range does this happen in, what throttle position(s), temperature outside, temperature for the vehicle, how many miles are on the vehicle, have you changed any sensors in your vehicle, what modifications have you done to your vehicle?

Thanks,

Team Crawford

I don't have any logs handy. It's done it since day one and has gotten worse over time. It's avoidable though. You learn how to drive without inducing it.

search stutter or studder, you'll get plenty of threads with logs and user accounts and everything you could ever want to know on the subject.

Subaru released some reflashes back in 06 and 07 that were supposed to fix the problem. But they didn't.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Cost and Compatibility: These Stage 1 maps would run around $175, and would work with a Cobb AP, or Ecutek software.

Did you say Ecutek?!?! :lol::eek: I didn't know anyone in the U.S. was still using this since Cobb and OS are so much better. Why would you recommend Ecutek over Cobb? (I use OS personally and I can understand a shop preferring Cobb to OS but curious as to why you'd use Ecutek.)

Ecutek - The Flashed and The Furious

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Archived