LegacyGT.com

Clutch replacement

That's old news, A 07-09 Legacy GT FW will fit your 2005. Its the same FW as the 06-11WRX, and I guess up to the 14' WRX.

If you go to Spec Clutches web site you can look up a 07-09 Legacy GT and a 06-11 WRX and see the same part number.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most do. You have a dual mass FW they can't be re-surfaced. A single mass FW can be. That's why we replace them.

The 07-09 GT's came with a SMFW.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

IMO yes.

Also I'd suggest you talk with one of the trusted vendors here.

PM, underdog

or m sprank

or

contact Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com

Talk with them, tell them what you have, they will sell you the correct parts the first time and give you great customer service.

They take all the guess work out of it.

If you wan't to go with that clutch, yes you need a new flywheel. The flywheel out of an 2006-up WRX is what you want.

Google the part # of that clutch kit (FJK1001) to find it for $150 less elsewhere.

I agree with Max though. Contact one of the vendors on here and they'll set you up correct. I think I got my flywheel through Fred Beans.

You can get the oem from the dealer or places like rock auto and advance auto sell replacements that will fit your car. That said, you should always resurface or replace the flywheel when doing a clutch job, and the dual mass flywheel that your car came with can't be/shouldn't be resurfaced. So if your going to do it right, just get the single mass wrx flywheel.

That is NOT an OEM smfw. This is what the OEM looks like:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA5MVgxNjAw/$T2eC16V,!zoE9s5ne+31BQIB5OKneg~~60_35.JPG

The one you linked looks like the Exedy lightweight flywheel:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/catalog_photos/products/exedy/exe_ff502_1_sd.jpg

Personally I wouldn't go with the lightweight flywheel. While it will work, it has been mentioned on here several times that there are issues that come along with using a lw flywheel. Like a "bag of rocks" noise when decelerating. If you use a lw flywheel and lw crank pulley, you could get some false knock as well. I haven't seen it personally, but I did read it on the internets once.

There are used oem smfw's around too. You'll just have to look around here and over at that other Subaru forum. It seems they usually go for around $100 and then you'll need to resurface it for probably another $30 or so.

Here's the flywheel you want

part # 12342AA090

That's the SMFW they're talking about that will work with the aftermarket clutches. You have to replace that stock flywheel with a clutch change anyway so that's the go to part #. I just recently purchased a Comp Clutch 2100 kit with flywheel included. The flywheel that comes with that clutch is a lightweight flywheel, however. I am using the lightweight flywheel myself and can attest to the "bag of rocks" sound. I don't have any door to door driving in my commute so the LWFW doesn't bother me that much.

The clutch was only about $675 to my door from thmotorsports.

-infamous performance (m sprank)

-AZP installs (Mike)

-thmotorsports (Dewey)

^these guys have all the answers you need so just give them a call. If not a search of legacy gt clutches should yield all the info you need to make a good decision on the best clutch for your application. You never mentioned any upgrades- that can play a huge role in clutch selection as well. If you're stock OE should be fine too.

Archived