LegacyGT.com

Noise in front Suspension

I have an 09 Legacy SE and when i take turns to the left or right and i hit a bump in the road it makes a noise from front end. it seems to be just one those normal things cause i dont hear it driving down the road its more when i am pulling in my parking deck for work or taking hard right hand turns. the thing is its driving me crazy not knowing what it is. any ideas what it could be or how to check what it is

more like a bumping noise. to me sounds metal to metal in the suspension. but i dont hear it any other time. its only when turning.

I hear that same noise under the same conditions in my 09 LGT. I think it's probably normal if we're both hearing it. It did startle me a little the first time I heard it however upon hearing it a few more times it doesn't sound like anything is broken or needs replacing.

I hear that same noise under the same conditions in my 09 LGT. I think it's probably normal if we're both hearing it. It did startle me a little the first time I heard it however upon hearing it a few more times it doesn't sound like anything is broken or needs replacing.

I have come to think it is normal myself. It just drives me nuts not knowing exactly what it is. I say it could be sway bar since its when im turning. Way i look at it is i got warranty so i don't think much of it. Just like to know what and why.

i believe i have the same thing, does it sound kind of like a "soft clatter" (is how i can best describe it)?

i noticed it more after i swapped in my poly LCA bushings so i would believe that it is the lower control arm reverberating in some way over uneven surfaces while turning

Hey guys. I know exactly the noise you're talking about. I just took my '08 in for this noise (among other things) for the 2nd time. A rep from Subaru HQ came down and drove the car. They told me this is a known condition on these cars and it is normal. I guess that makes me feel a little better; but I owned an '06 of the exact same car and it never did this. Either I was lucky on the '06, or they changed something for '07 that caused it. My guess was bad rack/pinion. They seem to think it's the p/s hoses knocking around when turning; but said this is 'normal'. I've simulated the noise when parked by turning the wheel all the way to one side and and slightly bumping it at the limit. I hope this helps. I will post again after I pick up the car tomorrow if I have any new info on this.

I have heard this clunking noise when turning and going over bumps since my car was new. My in-laws 2007 Outback makes the same noise. I think it is normal. I have checked the suspension parts by pushing and pulling on them and everything seems pretty tight.

Well I do feel better hearing it from all of you as well as the Subaru Headquarters rep that it's normal; but I still think they should have looked further into by now, found a solution, and issued a bulletin to address those who are annoyed by it, because I sure am. I can't imagine an Accord, Camry or Altima that made this sort of noise right off the line. I dont think they would let that go for sake of their reputation. I'm a pretty loyal Subaru fan, but things of this sort make me wonder sometimes.

I may just check those power-steering hoses myself and see if I can't come up with my own solution, if that is indeed the source of the noise.

I have heard this clunking noise when turning and going over bumps since my car was new. My in-laws 2007 Outback makes the same noise. I think it is normal. I have checked the suspension parts by pushing and pulling on them and everything seems pretty tight.

i bought my car with 30 miles on it and Ive heard that clunk since day one. car drives great in straight line but if i turn onto another road an hit a bump there the clunk is. when the dealer was putting my wing and fog lights on i had an 09 outback xt, i think, it was the fully loaded one and it made the same sound.

i have come to terms with the clunk id just like to know what it is.

Results from Service visit:

"Check and advise- customer states knock noise when turning on uneven pavement at very low speed."

"Inspected suspension, struts links and arms for looseness or noise. No concerns found."

"Road test with Ron Gxxxxxxx Subaru service rep. No concerns found. Did say possible fluid knock customer is hearing. This is a loud metallic noise when wheels hit uneven surface. This is a normal condition."

I am happy with the Subaru dealer's efforts to address this, but obviously not happy with Subaru's determination. I'll do my own checking when I get the chance and let you know if I am successful in finding this and correcting it.

swaybar endlink? one of my front end ones broke on me, but only enough to cause a clunking noise. could be reproduced by grabbing the sway near the endlink and pulling/pushing on the bar (give it a good amount of force)

I figured out my clunk issue....my strut has a bearing at the top that has worn.

to test, place your hand on the top of the strut and have someone put downward pressure on the nose of the car.

it the strut pokes at you, there you go. bad bearing.

• 4 weeks later...
Did you ever check it out and see if you could determine what the cause of the noise was?

No. Actually took the easy way out...sorta. I traded it in on a new '09 3.0R. But IT does THE SAME THING. Not quite as bad, but the same exact noise. It even has the same interior rattles in the same 2 out of 3 places. Have to give it to Subaru for consistency. lol

I won't bring this up to the dealer since they have already found it to be normal on my '08; but I will still check it out for myself when I get under there.

i have an 05 and it does the same thing. I looked for everyting underneath the car and i came to the conclusion that it is the dust boot hitting the lower spring perch, then again i am lowered on sti pinks. It seems that the noise accentuated after the drop.

• 1 year later...

looks like a dead subject, but it's annoying the crap out of me. i've got the clunking noise at low speeds. seems to come from both driver and passenger wheel wells. i'm on sti pinks, but first noticed it about a year ago before i put lowering springs on. It seems loudest after a long drive on roughish pavement (texas rural farm roads), and seems to go away after letting the car rest for a day or two.

I took it to a dealer who replaced the front end links, and the noise went away but was back immediately after 2 days. the noise seems to go away right after lifting the nose of the car. I noticed that if i try to rock the front wheels laterally, i can reproduce the clunking and actually feel it (almost feels like a wheel bolt is loose) type of sensation.

i figure if other non-spec b legacys have this problem, it probably has nothing to do with the bilstein setup.

anyone with any further thoughts?

I had this issue after I went to an aftermarket front swaybar in July, and it was just a loose endlink. It would clunk at low speeds over bumps especially on turns. The clunk came less often at higher speeds, but would still be there occasionally. I tightened the endlink down and the noise went away. I would just put the front end of the car up and take a couple wrenches and a torx key to the endlinks and see if it fixes the noise.

FWIW I'm lowered on h-techs since April and haven't had any noises from that part area of the suspension. I had originally thought it might be strut clunk from a blown strut, but since it wasn't all the time, I tried other things first.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Archived