LegacyGT.com

How much paint is needed to respray my front bumper?

Mark34

I tried searching, but came up blank.

Someone recently tagged my front bumper and left some damage on it, so I wanted to fix it up. The plan is to fix the damage with some body filler (it's not too bad but it's enough to drive me crazy) and then any small imperfections from rock chips and the license plate mounts, and then respray. My question is how much paint do I need to order? Is one pint enough for a front bumper only or should I get just get the quart? Thanks!

A pint will cover the bumper, are you using single stage paint or dual stage? I would recommend sanding the bumper all the way down unless you have experience with bondo. If you try to save those rock chips and don't do it properly your paint job will look like sh**! Remember to fade the paint out and grind all the paint off in the area you were hit. Bondo does not stick to paint. You will need to buy a Filler/primer as well. You can not paint directly over bondo. Good luck with your project! Let me know if you need any help!

Will thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for the feedback. Here was my basic plan:

I was planning on using this body spot putty to fill any small rock chips (after local sanding) and since the damaged area is much bigger, use the Bondo with chopped fiber in it and then sand smooth. Next sand the entire bumper with 320 grit and prep solvent clean for primer, paint, and clear with the following:

Primer (2 part urethane):

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/auto_paint_primer.aspx

Base (urethane):

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/auto_paint_basecoat.aspx

Clear (acrylic urethane):

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/auto_paint_clearcoat.aspx

After repainting, I wanted to do a clear bra over the whole thing but think it will need 30 days to let the paint fully cure. However, if I wait that long and put the bumper back on, it will pick up new chips. I'm thinking a regualr bra would still let it set up fully and then I could go with the clear.

Everything looks good. I would look for more of a filler primer because those rock chips are extremely difficult to make smooth. Just remember to sand all the areas with at least 80 to fade the paint out. You will have lips if you do not fade the paint out before bondo. I would also recommend using a putty after you put down the primer or you will most likely see your sand marks in the final paint. Wet sand the putty with 1200 grit! Once again do not hesitate to ask any questions I have been doing this for many years, and have tried to go the easy route and not sand the paint off and you end up seeing the chips, they are the worst! Good luck Feel free to send pictures of the process for any clarification along the way.

• 2 weeks later...
So you're recommending something more along these lines for the primer as opposed to the two part urethane primer I listed earlier? So it would be (extremely simplified version) fill, sand, and then use this primer? Thanks.

If you take a look at my picture thread "the start to no end" you can see the steps required. Sand all paint off completely, feather the remaining paint out, lay down your bondo, smooth it out to where you think it's good and smooth, you may need multiple layers of bondo. Then spray your primer, I use FULFIL basecoat builder/primer. Spread putty over the area you primed to fill in the marks, wet sand using a block and 220 grit wet/dry sand paper. Spray another layer of primer, sand that with 320 or 600 and you should be good to go! Good luck

Archived