LegacyGT.com

Michigan to New England road trip

cww

I took all of next week off work, and my girlfriend and I are taking a road trip to New England in my Legacy. Leaving this Saturday morning, 9 day trip. Some camping, some hotels.

Ann Arbor, MI --> Chatham, MA --> Boston, MA --> Kennebunkport, ME --> Bar Harbor, ME --> White Mountain National Forest, NH --> Burlington, VT --> Ann Arbor, MI

Here's the tentative route on Google maps:

http://goo.gl/zO78s

We have a place booked for Sunday night in Chatham, but have no idea where to stay on Saturday. Somewhere in Eastern MA? Providence area? What do you guys recommend? We're 25 and like drinking beer. We'll have just driven 12 hours, so I'd prefer something on the way to Cape Cod.

Have you considered going to Newport, RI? It's a bit further south from Providence. There are some great places to stay and a ton of restaurants for just about anything you'd want.

I suggest touring the Breakers mansion.

i can speak for burlington and white mountains area. downtown burlington/south burlington have the magic hat and burlintgton breweries which are great for beer lovers. chruch street downtown has great nightlife, shopping and eateries as well as lake champlain.

the towns of franconia and littleton NH are right near WMNF with places to stay and eat. there are also camp sites around. not to mention some of the best hiking/mountains/ scenery new england has to offer. PM me if you want better details. i live and work right in the greater littleton area.

I think you're right that going through Ontario would be faster. The only reason I'm going south of Lake Erie is that my girlfriend lives in Toledo.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Is U.S. Route 2 the preferred way from I-95 over to Burlington? Looking forward to driving in the mountains again. Michigan is FLAT.

Do you mean from I-93/91? Getting to Burlington, VT from 95 would be... inadvisable....

I'd probably take 2. You can make a pitstop in Montpelier (VT capital) for grub, if you so wish. Edit: But I haven't driven that road myself. I've driven 89 many times, though, and you'll definitely want to take it to get to Burlington.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Is U.S. Route 2 the preferred way from I-95 over to Burlington? Looking forward to driving in the mountains again. Michigan is FLAT.

From NH/I93/I91 over to Burlington US 2 is the preferred route, and pick up I89 in Montpelier. US 2 isn't too hilly, but your return route from Burlington through Utica NY will more than satisfy any twisty hill urges you may have. Just don't go off the road, as no one will find you until late fall and deer season.

• 3 weeks later...

I got back last Sunday. The total trip was 2732 miles. The Legacy got 28mpg on the 1st day (about 800 miles), and 26.4mpg for the entire trip.

I'll definitely be going back to Boston, Maine, Vermont, and the Adirondacks as separate trips.

Here's my car at the top of the Mt. Washington Auto Road:

Legacy_Mt_Washington.thumb.jpg.672d5cb8298b3e1a1832621c50fcff92.jpg

Archived