LegacyGT.com

Did my VF40 rly get 300 @ the wheels?!?!

BagheeraLGT

Ok, so not exactly a teaser thread but no I didnt make 300awhp on the dyno. I was able to make about 300 ft lbs of tq at the wheels on my stock VF40 though, which is why I thought this teaser topic title was appropriate.

I've got an 05 LGT with ~ 150k on the odo. Basic stage 2. Here's a quick mod list (just power related mods):

ERZ Catted DP

Magnaflow CBE

STi UP

Perrin TMIC (Stealth Black +15 hp)

Cobb SF Intake w/ box

Walbro Fuel Pump

ACT Stg 2 HD Clutch

Final #s:

Max HP : 253

Max TQ : 294

Max Boost: 18.8

Max AFR : 15.2

Dyno Sheet is attached.

I run 93 octane gas. I went from the generic Cobb A-port stage 2 map to a custom tune from EFI Logics in Bethel, CT. I don't know my exact gains, cause I never had my car dyno'ed prior to the tune but i do notice significant improvements. The car pulls harder and has much better/healthier throttle response. I got better peak numbers than I expected and from what I can tell, its a pretty beefy power-band for the vf40. Overall, I was impressed from a performance standpoint.

On top of that, the guys at EFI are awesome. They were able to work around a broken accessport, me sorting that out (quite easily) with Cobb, and a relatively large shipping crisis with UPS. EFI had no problem rescheduling my tune and was great about only charging me once.

Just wanted to post for members to look at and I hope it helps guys who are debating on Stg 2 vs aftermarket turbo options see what the VF40 can do. I was trying to land a VF52 before my tune to really get my car where I wanted (close to 300 awhp) with some more top end power, but things didnt work out. I wanted to avoid doing injectors, from a $ standpoint. I ended up having EFI do the walbro pump upgrade on my tune day, as they suggested it would help the tune. Most likely needed to be done, cause I doubt my fuel pump was ever replaced prior. So overall, I'm very happy where my lgt is at, considering it is my DD. I do have huge plans for it one day, but that will probably be a couple yrs down the road when i dont need the reliability of the DD, and I'm not as financially constrained.

Hope you guys enjoyed the write up.

Baggy's Dyno Results.pdf

Sounds about right. Mine made 337 ft-lbs on a Dynapak, though dyno numbers matter very little at the end of the day.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Agree with you on that, peak numbers are great to talk about, but don't tell the whole story. I'd love to hear what the more knowledgeable members think about the power-band which my lgt generated.

Dyno graph was attached to my original post for anyone who wants to check it out.

I made peak torque about 800 RPM before you did, and peak power at about 4800rpm. I made over 300 ft-lbs from 2200 to 4200, and over 200whp from about 3400 to redline.

Your graph looks nice and smooth, and I wouldn't be at all upset with how it turned out. EFI does good work, for sure.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I made peak torque about 800 RPM before you did, and peak power at about 4800rpm. I made over 300 ft-lbs from 2200 to 4200, and over 200whp from about 3400 to redline.

Your graph looks nice and smooth, and I wouldn't be at all upset with how it turned out. EFI does good work, for sure.

Thanks for the info. I'm absolutely happy about my results. From what I've heard, EFI's dyno usually reads slightly lower than others, and traditionally Mustang dynos will read lower than Dynapaks.

Other variables affect the process which cause variance from dyno to dyno too, obviously which has been commented on & beaten to death on about ever car forum ever.

Thanks for posting your results & commenting. I'm more curious than anything to learn the general range of where alot of our Stg 2 VF40s are in.

At this point, I couldnt be happier with the choice to get an LGT and the ratio of where pay to play gets us with overall performance on the 2.5 liter boxers. I just wish mine had about 100k less on the odo....

Yea, dyno numbers matter little, which is why I wanted to give you perspective as to how my numbers corresponded to yours.

You have 3x the miles my car does, and I don't know if my 09 has the same turbo as yours. Don't the newer LGT's have a VF46?

Woah, car twins!

I think they (newer LGT's) do have the VF46. I'm not sure how the specs differ between the two, i.e. turbine, compressor, housing. I would think all are similar but have subtle differences.

05-06 GT's have vf40, 07-09 VF46

• 1 month later...
The only real difference between the vf40 and vf46 is the oil starvation issue that the vf40s had and were fixed when they released the newer vf46

This is incorrect. The VF-46 has a different compressor cover and bearing housing, and the way they fit together is different. The '07 and up still have the same oil feed pipe, banjo bolt and screen filter as earlier models. It wasn't until some time in '08 that they made a running change to omit the screen at assembly and issued the TSB to remove them from cars in the market.

There may be fewer failures reported on the VF-46 but that could be due either the smaller number in the market vs. the VF-40. It could also be the later bearing cartridge deals better with the limited oil supply, or that omitting the screens helped the situation.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So does my 09 not have a banjo screen?

So does my 09 not have a banjo screen?

By the TSB it should not. My '08 WRX has a build date after the TSB but had the screen. Whether you intend to keep it or not I'd pull it to see if it's clean.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived