LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Engine Grenade

Sorry about the title, but this is a concern of mine. I'm considering owning and 04 legacy (JDM BL5) with 59,000 KM on the odo. I was told the car was barely driven and so far it looks clean. Now i've done some reading and it seems these cars engine have a tendency to blow or turbo destroyed?

Help me with my concerns:

1. The oil filter for the turbo has a tendency to break apart and destroy the turbo?

2. The Cat before the turbo has a tendency of disintegrating and damage the turbo?

3. The 5EAT transmission is good for how many miles on avg?

4. Oil change interval is 6000KM (3800mi)?

I would really love honest responses and feel free to contribute tips in avoiding any of my concerns :)

(btw, i posted in the 05 forum as this is the same shape legacy)

• Moderators
Sorry about the title, but this is a concern of mine. I'm considering owning and 04 legacy (JDM BL5) with 59,000 KM on the odo. I was told the car was barely driven and so far it looks clean. Now i've done some reading and it seems these cars engine have a tendency to blow or turbo destroyed?

Help me with my concerns:

1. The oil filter for the turbo has a tendency to break apart and destroy the turbo?

It can clog. But you can pull it to check it or you can just do regular oil changes to prevent it from clogging.

2. The Cat before the turbo has a tendency of disintegrating and damage the turbo?

It has happened, usually on higher mileage vehicles I think. You can replace the uppipe with a catless version if you want

3. The 5EAT transmission is good for how many miles on avg?

At stock power levels it will outlast your engine if you take care of it by changing the fluid regularly (drain and fill every 15,000 miles)

4. Oil change interval is 6000KM (3800mi)?

Yeah.

I would really love honest responses and feel free to contribute tips in avoiding any of my concerns :)

(btw, i posted in the 05 forum as this is the same shape legacy)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

wow, thanks for the prompt response.

New questions:

1. Which uppipe do you recommend for my 2.0L engine and what else would be needed to do the replacement.

2. Are there any other mods I can do to bullet proof this engine for maybe a stage 1 upgrade? :rolleyes:

• Moderators
Now you need to start searching. Asking a bunch of 2.5L guys might not get you very far in terms of what parts you need. Regarding insurance mods--search search search. Oil pick up tube, bulletproof intercooler mod, F1 VB mod / solid diff bearings, zip tie your vacuum lines, etc...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Listen to your turbo, learn how it sounds, when it begins to get louder or change sound for no reason, think about replacing it before it blows and takes out the short block with it.

I replaced mine at 142,000 miles when the whine became a whistle.

My vf52 has 20,000 miles on it and is great.

Oh yea, learn how to check the oil and top it off as needed, NEVER let it get low on oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived