LegacyGT.com

Whats The Deal With Subaru Gas Mileage??? What Do You All Get?

Aight, so I am very curious....what kinda gas mileage to you all get? If you get bad gas mileage, do you have any major engine mods?

I have a 97 LGT 2.5. (as seen in the profile picture) I get almost 20 miles to the gal and I only have a weapon R intake, ram air hood scoops, and a 2 inch exhaust, cats back. I use bosch platnum four plugs and top of the line oil and 93 octane.

Do I have a problem, or is this normal for most people?

If this is not normal, what the hell is the problem?

Im gonna change the plugs to NGK iridiums and new autolight wires and Im gonna try to replace the fuel filter....will this help much? Anything else Im missing?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmm, 97 LGT, does it have a turbo and/or is it tuned? if not, i dont think you need to be running 93octane... it makes it harder for your engine to utilize the fuel... you put in relatively more energy for the same output as 87 octane. 20-22mpg around town, 26-28highway TDC stage II, '06 LGT

I do mostly city driving, so I only get 18mpg in the Legacy, see as low as 16mpg in the winter.

I get 20mpg on the '06 Impreza, wife gets 22-23mpg. She has a longer drive then I do, and she probably doesn't floor it as often as I do. AVLS FTW!!

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I have a 97 LGT 2.5. (as seen in the profile picture) I get almost 20 miles to the gal and I only have a weapon R intake, ram air hood scoops, and a 2 inch exhaust, cats back. I use bosch platnum four plugs and top of the line oil and 93 octane.

Im gonna change the plugs to NGK iridiums and new autolight wires and Im gonna try to replace the fuel filter....will this help much? Anything else Im missing?

Unless you've got an ECU tuned for 93 octane, you're just wasting your money.

Also check your air filter.

I've never tried Bosch's Platinum 4 plugs, but their normal single prong spark plugs suck. Honestly I think high-end spark plugs are a waste unless you've done mods that actually require them. A CAI and catback exhaust don't require high end spark plugs.

I have NGK V-power plugs, and IIRC, Borg-Warner wires in our Legacy.

A dirty fuel filter usually robs you of power moreso than MPG.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

i was reading and i saw bosch plat + 4 plugs, thats your problem go with denso's or ngk

when i worked as a mechanic 50% of the gas milage issues were the crap bosch plugs or spitfires.

im getting between 23 and 26mpg mixed driving, i get 30mpg all highway

Aight, so I am very curious....what kinda gas mileage to you all get? If you get bad gas mileage, do you have any major engine mods?

i can get that and do with my 07 gt. get mid 20's rolling at 80mph 18-21 city. i actually get better city mileage than my gf. trick i think works is just like what has been said. get up to city speed fairly decent then let off. practically coasting by that time.

i never said i don't get lower. i have seen as low as 8 before (don't ask what i was doing). don't plow the gas pedal at every stoplight and you will be fine.

Unless you've got an ECU tuned for 93 octane, you're just wasting your money.

Stanjk is right, Ive tested it. 93 octane, 89 octane does nothing for these cars unless you have a '96 LGT or LSi. The '97s and up were refined to put out more power and run on 87 octane and as I posted earlier, mine runs pretty good on 87. I always hated going to the pump in my '96 cause I knew that I had to put 89 in it.

Boxers are not the most efficient fuel wise.

I can atest to that. Both of my Legacies have exceeded the EPA ratings, which is a nice feeling. However, I do wonder what it will be like when a get a WRX (my first turbo). Though Ive been checking user averages on fueleconomy.gov and the average for that car is around 24 mpg. I can live with that and Ill being adding a cold air intake, which only helps. I am exctied! ....But, I have to pay for grad. school first :cool:

ill chime in with a 02 legacy non turbo with kn pannel filter, findanza flywheel, i get around 30 mile to the gallon, not friggin super great however its good by my standards!!!

So you have a MT then. With the K & N panel filter (which I replaced with a Weapon-R intake, no fuel economy improvement) I went up to 32 mph from 29. So your Legacy is about 200 lbs heavier than mine, so 30 mpg is probably about right, and def. nice for a car only rated for 27 hwy.

Wow I would friggin love to get 30 MPG. I have a DIY CAI with a green panel filter and I get about 26-27 when I go home for breaks although I average about 70-75 which would bring it down a bit. Lowest was 19 with short trips around town. I am also running 05 wheels which are a tad wider.

'98 GT wagon, 5 mt. I get 23.1, doesn't matter what kind of driving. Usually two-lane, 55 mph or interstate 75-80. I don't have a lot of city driving, mostly rural/mixed. Car is bone stock, NGK plugs. I don't think the 16" wheels help in the mileage dept.

I only get about 23, but that's mostly city and I drive up a lot of steep hills in my area. I'm not sure what kind of highway mileage I get, haven't taken it out enough to calculate it. It does rev awfully high at highway speeds, so I would think the mileage wouldn't be that great.

• 11 months later...

Well I think I have the worst out of everyone then. If I can make 23 miles to the gallon its my good day. I would have to baby the car like crazy. I feel something is wrong. Most of you guys have newer cars which would be the reason for the better gas mileage, but I do only have 63,000 miles. Maybe I will have to try changing the plugs back to NGK's Other then that I have no clue what could be doing it. I drive half highway and half Nh roads. If I could get 27mpg on the highway alone I would be in heaven.

I have new fuel filter, new plugs, new wires, new coil pack.

Does anyone get a really big suction out of their gas tank when you open the fuel cap? It usually happens when I run the car from full to empty it creates a lot of suction. Is that ok? Would that be causing some pull back tension on the fuel lines?

- Could my fuel pump be weak? Or is it an On or Off kinda mechanism.

- Could the car not be grounded enough, or properly causing a lack in electrical current throughout the car?

- Maybe its just my heavy rims?

Archived