LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Just thought I'd pitch in with everyone else... I installed Jazzy's Aux-In this weekend, and this mod is AWESOME!!!! I have the single CD player/radio and disconnecting the manual AC controls proved to be a little more difficult than I thought and the CD player is relatively exposed making it more susceptible to damage throughout the install (both of which Jazzy pointed out to me when I ordered the kit). But overall the install was a breeze and I couldn't be happier.

For those of you that are interested "Monster Cable" <www.monstercable.com> makes a GLI called the Monster Silencer that is very good quality and all the cables/components are shielded to further reduce noise and interference. They are $40 retail but I found one on eBay for $13 (shipping included).

Thanks again jazzy for all your hard work!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must testify that this mod work perfectly and the instructions were perfect. If you want to hook up an IPod or any other audio device (MP3, Cassette, 8-Track, record player, Whatever) and you dont want to screw around trying to swap out the factory stereo, this is the way to do it. I tried a half dozen fm modulators including a direct wire unit. They all sucked. Thanks Jazzy !

Hello,

Sorry if I did not read through the FAQ's all the way. I understand the idea. Just want to understand the quality? Much better than a radio signal I am sure? Can you here the CD spinning although it is "silent."

Thank You,

Lee Jakobs

Let me know how to get you address info etc.

I need some information. I plan on installing Jazzy's board sometime this weekend. In addition to installing Jazzy's aux-in board, I plan on installing a wired fm modulator in the event I have issues with the aux-in board. Couple questions...

1. I was looking at the Scosche FM-MOD01 FM modulator. Anyone have experience with this unit? Better one out there?

2. Also, for a replacement to the included Scosche switch, I was looking at this switch from Radio shack. Would this switch work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062523&cp=&kw=rocker+switch&parentPage=search

3. Now the real question. I want to install permanant flush mounted female RCA jacks somewhere in the car. Does someone make these jacks? I want to install jacks (possibly in the center console) where they are just female jacks in the bottom. I could then plug in my audio source with 2 male RCA jacks. I just don't want the end of RCA cables just currled up in the center console. Did that make sense?

-S

Well, I can answer some of your questions...

2) That switch will work fine if you'd rather use that one.

3) I think what you're looking for is either something like parts 85570RW & 85570BW at HomeDepot.com It looks like you can just unscrew them from their jack insert and use the nut to panel mount them wherever you want.

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/078477962350_4.jpg

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Hello,

Sorry if I did not read through the FAQ's all the way. I understand the idea. Just want to understand the quality? Much better than a radio signal I am sure? Can you here the CD spinning although it is "silent."

I haven't noticed the sound of the CD spinning, but I honestly haven't tried to "hear" it either. Obviously, it's not going to be any louder than when you're actually playing a music CD either...so, I'd have to categorize it as "not noticable."

As far as address info, you can PM me your email and the rest of the info I'll get through paypal when you buy the board, but I'm currently backordered, waiting for PCB's from my vendor which could be a couple weeks.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I haven't noticed the sound of the CD spinning, but I honestly haven't tried to "hear" it either. Obviously, it's not going to be any louder than when you're actually playing a music CD either...so, I'd have to categorize it as "not noticable."

As far as address info, you can PM me your email and the rest of the info I'll get through paypal when you buy the board, but I'm currently backordered, waiting for PCB's from my vendor which could be a couple weeks.

Jazzy, how many boards have you shipped? Just curious about the install base of your board. :icon_bigg

-S

Jazzy, how many boards have you shipped? Just curious about the install base of your board. :icon_bigg

-S

Well, I originally ordered 100 boards. I installed 1 in my car, and the rest are all gone so I've shipped 99 (that's almost 5000 holes I personally soldered btw :)). I already have about 10 more on backorder too. I can't stop anyone from posting, and so far, I'd say the "consumer response" has been fairly positive. I'm just glad that I've actually been a help, since I was really worried at first that everyone taking their radio apart was going to cause lots of problems. So far, that really hasn't been the case. Thank dog.

Well I just completed by Jazzy board installation without issue. The part that I thought would be the hardest (removal of the front control panel) ended up being quite easy. The sound quality is awesome compared to a wired fm modulator. The static that I would hear time to time is now gone and as I turn the volume up, it stays clear and crisp (unlike the modulator). Total installation and clean up time ended up being around 90 minutes.

Great job Jazzy! What a service to the Legacy community! :D

Just need to make sure I don't have my external audio source on and playing a regular music CD at the same time. Just doesn't sound right ;)

-S

I have seen a bunch of different ideas regarding hooking up an IPod with the factory stereo. The unit built by JAZZYMT is inexpensive and the instructions make it a breeze to hook up. It is a direct feed so there is no stupid RF interference. Some people want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. The answer is simple.

Step 1 - Buy the PCB from JAZZY

Step 2 - Install it

Step 3 - Enjoy the music

Maybe someday Subaru and all of the other OEM's will get a clue and include an audio input somewhere in the car. Until then its as easy as 1-2-3.

I have seen a bunch of different ideas regarding hooking up an IPod with the factory stereo. The unit built by JAZZYMT is inexpensive and the instructions make it a breeze to hook up. It is a direct feed so there is no stupid RF interference. Some people want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. The answer is simple.

Step 1 - Buy the PCB from JAZZY

Step 2 - Install it

Step 3 - Enjoy the music

Maybe someday Subaru and all of the other OEM's will get a clue and include an audio input somewhere in the car. Until then its as easy as 1-2-3.

Agreed! Jazzy's board isn't perfect, but sounds great, is easy to install, and can be removed if you need a radio repair, etc. If you can follow instructions and use a screwdriver, you can install this MOD.

I thought about installing a wired FM modulator for backup but I decided against it and would give this a try first. Glad I did......gotta return the wired fm modulator to CC now. :)

-S

Read the first post in this thread and that should help answer most of your questions about what it "is" and what it does. As far as where to get them, I'm selling them, but I'm currently backordered parts for a couple weeks.

Just wanted to pass on another iPod tip...iPod's are not known for having loud volume (cuz the guvment has to protect our ears, ya know)...so bump the volume up on your entire iTunes library by 10-15%. iTunes does a great job of cranking up the volume without creating any clipping or distortion. After you do this and play it back in your car, you will get much better sound especially on any bass parts of the music. Try it, it really works well. Remember to use full volume too. You won't have to turn it up on the head unit as much.

I just checked my PCB vendor progress & it looks like they're currently being drilled, which is good. It means they'll probably be done this week. SOooo...I'm gunna start submitting invoices. I'll post another update when I have a confirmed shipment from my vendor if those on backorder would prefer to wait until then to pay. Otherwise it's the same story as before, if you want to just pay & forget this should be more convenient. Honestly, it makes it easier for me too since I can make sure I have enough other parts to get everyone their board once the PCB's arrive.

jazzymt, any chance athere will be a dual jack uanit to hook up a Sirius tunner?

Isn't needed. Just get a splitter and turn on the appropriate unit. That is what I am doing.

I have a 1/8" stereo extension that goes from jazzy's board to the center console. And from there I have a 1/8" splitter. I plug in my sirius unit to one (using a 1/8" to RCA adapter) and the other to my ipod. Works great.

Just remember that Jazzy's board has to be small to sit inside the radio.

-S

OK - I made a fascinating discovery (not sure if it's been noted before, but I haven't seen anything about it). I had the radio on and all of a sudden the music was messed up. I realized that I had hit play on the ipod and it was coming through with the radio on. Got me to thinking - might not need a blank cd if you could have the unit on but without it playing anything. Currently - I have an old fm modulator that I hard wired in the back of the wagon (where the 12v socket should be ;) that blanks out 88.3 - no static (well hardly any) and it seems to work. If anyone can think of another way to do this, I'm open to suggestions...

btw - I'm using Jazzy's board - hence the post in this thread :)

In retrospect, it makes sense. Why bother cuting the input from the cd, when they just turn the cd off when it's not in use...

It's really not that big a deal. Just hit back when you get in the car every once in a while (ie start the track over).... ;) otoh, I put an mp3 cd in to see if it would work (it didn't :( but it played a track 1 as if there was one, just no noise. Don't know how long it would play, but it's worth checking out as well. If it's not actually playing the song, it may go on indefinitely.

Isn't needed. Just get a splitter and turn on the appropriate unit. That is what I am doing.

I have a 1/8" stereo extension that goes from jazzy's board to the center console. And from there I have a 1/8" splitter. I plug in my sirius unit to one (using a 1/8" to RCA adapter) and the other to my ipod. Works great.

Just remember that Jazzy's board has to be small to sit inside the radio.

-S

The Sirius tunner under my seat has two RCA jacks (L-R) Yhe splitter would be like turning it into 1 so, how will it diferenciate between L-R ?

http://www.cellularshowroom.com/images/siriussatelliteradio/base3.jpg

The 1/8" mini is a stereo jack. Only one plug, but three connections (l/r/g). RCA is only a 2 connection plug (l/g or r/g) so a cable from 1/8 to rca would be one 1/8 on one end (stereo) to 2 rca on the other (also stereo). An 1/8" splitter would separate the signal(stereo) to two connectors.