LegacyGT.com

Air vents blowing hot air 80% of the time

kanoswrx

It seems that my air vents allways blow hot air, even when I set both dials down to 65 degrees?? I am guessing its because the engine is hot, but my wrx was still able to blow cold air. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed not being able to get cold air through the vents after the car is warmed up for awhile.

Yup, I noticed that too. If I crank the fan up it usually cools off - but it takes a while. Mybe it's because I have the dark dash? I've been hitting the recirc button so that the flow stops altogether - I'd rather have no flow than hot air.

Mine blows hot hair only after the car is stuck in traffic for more than say 15 minutes. Eventually blows cool after moving to high speed. If I get stuck in traffic longer I turn on the A/C. In summer I'll probably leave the A/C on all the time here in Oz, perhaps with Auto. One thing I noticed is there's hardly any power drain with the A/C on. This is good.

[quote name='fan42025']Mine blows hot hair only after the car is stuck in traffic for more than say 15 minutes. I just turn on the A/C. In summer I'll probably leave the A/C on all the time perhaps with Auto here in Oz. One thing I noticed is there's hardly any power drain with the A/C on. This is good.[/quote] Really? Not that there is really a power drain, but i tend to feel the boost with slightly more lag with the A/C on...but i usually just drive with the windows down..

[quote name='D-2.5-GT'] Really? Not that there is really a power drain, but i tend to feel the boost with slightly more lag with the A/C on...but i usually just drive with the windows down..[/quote] Yes, really. At first I thought the A/C wasn't working but it sure does blow cold air. Have to wait until we get really hot days to find out how well it handles them. Then it may be a different story. I hope I don't need a water spray.

We had a couple hot days up here this past weekend...like 90+ and very humid...did notice a little drop in performance, but at those temps, especially with the bad air i would expect anything different. Can't wait till fall / winter, when we get the cold crisp air, it will certainly provide a better air / fuel combustion. I am hoping it makes it a little more peppy...Not that it really needs it... :D

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough. My problem isn't with the AC, just with the Blower. I can turn on the A/C and everything will be nice and cold :) Its when I turn the A/C off and just use the blower. If the car is hot, it allways blows hot air, its like its drawing in air from the wrong location, sucking in hot air instead of cold air. It seems like this is pretty common, as cncgimenez and jaycee described the same things. I wonder where the air intake for the vents is, wonder if subaru picked the wrong place to put that vent.

[quote name='kanoswrx']Maybe I didn't make it clear enough. My problem isn't with the AC, just with the Blower. I can turn on the A/C and everything will be nice and cold :) Its when I turn the A/C off and just use the blower. If the car is hot, it allways blows hot air, its like its drawing in air from the wrong location, sucking in hot air instead of cold air. [/quote] But does this do it always after the car has warmed up no matter how fast you are going? Or like me does it happen only after you are stuck in traffic for an extended period?

I think your problems is pretty common to nearly every vehicle out there. The problems stems from the fact that you are pulling fresh air from under the hood which can get really hot, especially when not moving very fast. In addition, I don't believe that the flow valve for the heater core ever completely stops flow. I believe they do this to keep the coolant fresh in the core to prevent freezing/rusting/sediment problems. This will make the area in which the air flows warmer than ambient even though the mix door may be completely bypassing the core. You'll never really be able to get air close to ambient outdoor temp without the A/C because of all the heat a car engine creates. Every car I've ever driven does this to some extent.

Archived