LegacyGT.com

Re: Oil change- more oil than manual indicates?

So here's my question.

I did an oil change on my legacy 3.0R last nite. The manual states 5.5 Qt. or 5.8Qt w/ the oil filter . After the fill, i checked for leaks and was still short under the low level on the dipstick. As I have never heard of anyone filling more than the capacity, i decided to read the manual and follow instructions as stated. Run car to normal operating temp, allow a few minutes to cool then check level. After doing that, it was still low. Well my wife took the car to work this morning and i advised het to take a quart and add in the morning if need be.

Has anyone ever had this problem before, and should i be worried? The car runs fine AFAIK.

P.S.- it is a 6 cylinder, i know GT's ( i owned one b4 this car) don't take more than 5 Qt's.

This doesn't really answer your question, but might help. Subaru engines

are very peculiar in that you need to leave the dipstick out for several

minutes, allowing any oil that was pulled up into the dipstick tube (when you

pulled the dipstick out) to drain back, before you re-insert the dipstick for

a reading.

Some people have gotten around this problem by buffing the bottom part

of the dipstick until it is smooth and slick as mirror - link somehwere on

this site, I believe.

Unfortunately, I think not following this procedure would probably gives you

"too full" readings (or readings that are really indistinct), so it doesn't really

seem to address you problem. Good luck.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You've owned Subbies before so just check the oil the same way, as Rusty said ^^.

After I change my oil and about once every 2 weeks, after I get to work, I pull the dip stick up a bit and close the hood. After work I open the hood, wipe the dip stick, and check the oil.

Been doing it this way for years, if your a little bit low or up to a qt low on the stick, your still safe. A little over won't hurt either.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah thanks Rusty and Max!!

The wife went to check oil this morning (she starts work 5am so i was sleeping) and it was in the middle with 6 quarts from last nite.

She drove to work (all of 2 miles) and checked it again it was at the low mark. I guess checking it when the car is cold allows for all the fluid to be in it's proper place. This was the first car that played wierd dipstick tricks on me.

Thanks again guys!!

Hi - coming out of lurking status to refer you to another member's post concerning the 3.0R oil quantity - I have a 08 OBP 3.0R myself. Just got it's first oil change recently and was slightly over 6 qts with the filter. Search some of Seeeee Ya's recent posts and I believe you will encounter the same discrepancy with what is stated in the manual. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106802 - found it!

It must have something to the boxer engine, my 14hp briggs twin cylinder lawn tractor has the same issue. I have to pull the dip stick, let the oil drain down for a few minutes then check it. It's 15 y/o and still holds the oil up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It must have something to the boxer engine, my 14hp briggs twin cylinder lawn tractor has the same issue. I have to pull the dip stick, let the oil drain down for a few minutes then check it. It's 15 y/o and still holds the oil up.

I'm thinking maybe it has more to do with the dipstick tube being an

especially tight fit with the dipstick. My BMW motorcycle boxer did

not have this issue, nor (I believe) did the VW beetle engine.

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad to know that i was not the only one a quart low.

**********Update*********

Also, i don't know if it's the butt dyno, but the car runs with much more power with redline oil, and shifts later. I guess my wife will run and confirm this. I have ran redline in the wrx, but never felt this much power bump before. I'd say it feels like a 10-15 whp/ tq increase!

Archived