LegacyGT.com

the second coming of dustinsonger's (insert interesting tarmac motorsport here)wagon

dustinsonger

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im going to come off as an asshole here i know, but i really don't mean it that way, so if a grain of salt is needed with this then by all means, take a hit of that s2baru haha.

Im not for specs, or at least handing out specs for a setup that has nothing to do with anyone else's car, i know that makes me the non-communal asshole but its me and i like having my car be mine. Also, I have no experience with the fifth gen outside of fabbing up a custom exhaust for someone. I can tell you that my old setup, which from reading your thread, the wheel design might not be your taste, was a set of 18x10 +30 rota grids with dunlop 275's on them. on my car they had minimal room on the inside and still sat out past my fenders. the tires looked nice and meaty on the rims but had an ever so slight amount of stretch to them, non run flats may have a more stretched look to them but still nothing really noticeable at glance. my suggestion, get out a right angle measuring stick, take your wheel off, compress the suspension to ride height, and measure out your backspacing from the flat of your brake hat to your fender, like we all used to have to do when there were no forums and the only people in your small ass town in the middle of nowhere wyoming who know anything about cars think a 60's v8 is the only car worth thinking about. That way you can find something close to what your looking for, or have something made.

I dont know how much space you have on the inside but from the looks of it you are sitting at the fender on the outside. if you have an spare inch on the inside, raise your wheel width an inch, raise your offset 25ish mm and get 275's, if it doesnt fit, throw a spacer on there and/or roll fenders accordingly.

Dustinsonger while i can't blame you for protecting your Build and wanting people to do their own. Before you I was pretty sure i was the widest tired outback lol. You are sharing it and honestly if you know cars and how they put together you can figure out your setup. ;)

On another side note you may want ARP studs for those wheels with how hard you are going to drive it.

Also don't know what you have planned for brakes. we all know how bad the stock OBXT are. I know you are into cutting your own course so maybe look into a STI hub conversion and Innovative tuning sells a corvette 6piston conversion.

Might also want to go to TSSFAB website and get some ideas and build a front and rear subframe that is more rigid with or adjust-ability and more swaybar.

Look up 15+STI steering rack upgrade.

The forum is where you trade information. ;)

Can't wait to see what else you do.

Dustinsonger while i can't blame you for protecting your Build and wanting people to do their own. Before you I was pretty sure i was the widest tired outback lol. You are sharing it and honestly if you know cars and how they put together you can figure out your setup. ;)

On another side note you may want ARP studs for those wheels with how hard you are going to drive it.

Also don't know what you have planned for brakes. we all know how bad the stock OBXT are. I know you are into cutting your own course so maybe look into a STI hub conversion and Innovative tuning sells a corvette 6piston conversion.

Might also want to go to TSSFAB website and get some ideas and build a front and rear subframe that is more rigid with or adjust-ability and more swaybar.

Look up 15+STI steering rack upgrade.

The forum is where you trade information. ;)

Can't wait to see what else you do.

Never heard of TSSFab before now.

This looks like a fix for what halted my crazy wheel/tire combo for the wagon - http://tssfab.us/wp/?wpsc-product=rally-trailing-arms . The tires were hitting the trailing arm on hard compression.

facebook site is full of drool worthy stuff. Based on a couple looksee's of Dustin's car, several of these things have been done.

Edited by boxkita

The rear arms are awesome but designed for wrx/sti with separated arm/knuckle design where ours is one piece. :(

Moore performance also makes subframes that lighter and stronger but they are custom. Would help shed weight and add some much needed rigidity.

I am planning to do a similar rebuild revamp of my suspension but more torwards GT car than the catfish all out race.

The rear arms are awesome but designed for wrx/sti with separated arm/knuckle design where ours is one piece. :(

Moore performance also makes subframes that lighter and stronger but they are custom. Would help shed weight and add some much needed rigidity.

I am planning to do a similar rebuild revamp of my suspension but more torwards GT car than the catfish all out race.

When I still thought I'd be racing the wagon, I started looked for an 04/05 STi to remove the drivetrain. Then swap it under the wagon. After a bit of looking an STi racecar came up for sale. The package price was less than the cost to swap an STI into the wagon. I gave up on that stupid plan. :spin:

More work definitely needs to be done to the subframe but really not until i find true problems. the car sticks, sticks like crazy, and until im using the engine at its full potential, i would just be making changes at whim with no way to see the results of each change. im addressing each problem area one at a time. the brakes keep getting brought up by everyone, if a change needs to be made, im simply going to willwood calipers and lgt rotors. i dont lap the car endlessly, it gets out for a warm up then a run, or gets the piss beaten out of it for a couple minutes up a mountain. trying to find a good pad is my issue as of the moment

try ebc they have a race pad.

We talk about it because people who track their cars with less grip than you have severe brake issues. if you buy willwood calipers and do lgt rotors go two piece for better heat control. Our hubs do not like heat.

I'd swap out the stock hubs for sti units. My experience was hubs last about 1 lap on race tires. They will still work however the "oh crap my hubs are toast " noise appears after the first high g corner.

If upgrading to wilwood calipers get the matching rotors.

I ran stock lgt calipers with race pads (hawk dtc 60/70) and had no problems stopping the first time. the second time the fluid had boiled and I had no brakes. Your brake ducts should solve that problem.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

absolutely nothing is happening. The catfish is just sitting up on jackstands with all 3 chassis wiring harnesses pulled out of it. Im just coming up with money to replace all the wiring and computers in the car. found some serious corrosion in the plug section at the lower corners of the front door jams where all 3 harnesses come together.

12400996_10207908448683395_6379542748719674761_n.jpg?oh=0f3bf59f9a4cf90c38de16e483a3bbd0&oe=57BC5F49

12919701_10207908449003403_6284526382302316224_n.jpg?oh=0831f5e1dd84d9fa492a8803bd3b754f&oe=577C70A7

12670730_10207908449203408_907316810864526667_n.jpg?oh=ffe9cdaed5fbc514bcad702722858490&oe=57C019E4

absolutely nothing is happening. The catfish is just sitting up on jackstands with all 3 chassis wiring harnesses pulled out of it. Im just coming up with money to replace all the wiring and computers in the car. found some serious corrosion in the plug section at the lower corners of the front door jams where all 3 harnesses come together.

12400996_10207908448683395_6379542748719674761_n.jpg?oh=0f3bf59f9a4cf90c38de16e483a3bbd0&oe=57BC5F49

12919701_10207908449003403_6284526382302316224_n.jpg?oh=0831f5e1dd84d9fa492a8803bd3b754f&oe=577C70A7

12670730_10207908449203408_907316810864526667_n.jpg?oh=ffe9cdaed5fbc514bcad702722858490&oe=57C019E4

Is there any other place you post? I love seeing pics of this thing. My aero bits are a lot less than you and Gators...makes me feel inferior. Lol.

You can follow my instagram, @dustinsonger There's not alot recently but that's where stuff gets posted the most and fastest. Also my book of faces has huge albums with alot of boring shit of my car

I already do follow you, and no recent pics of the rig.

My IG is the same as this name I have here. Feel free to follow, as I feel that my IG is my build thread hahahahaha.