LegacyGT.com

Wheel locks anyone??

It was suggested to me by a friend to put some wheel locks on my legacy. Has anyone done that and if so, what did you use. would the ones you get at the auto parts store work fine?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

McGard locks are not unique to Subaru. Each set has a code on it......pretty random patterns.

I took my set off since I have no stock wheels anymore. PM me if you want them.....just cover shipping.

It depends where you live. In Southern Cali.... You need to have a lock on everything. I would get them. Make sure you keep the bolts good. My father tried to rotate the tires on his baja after 15k miles and broke the lock. He had to reorder one and get the wheel locks removed at a shop for about $70 ~1 hr work.

useless...

:rolleyes:

You are probably saying that because wheel locks can be defeated. You're right, the point of wheel locks is not to prevent your wheels from being stolen, it is to make it more difficult.

If your logic were true, why even bother locking your car?

-Nick

:rolleyes:

You are probably saying that because wheel locks can be defeated. You're right, the point of wheel locks is not to prevent your wheels from being stolen, it is to make it more difficult.

If your logic were true, why even bother locking your car?

-Nick

all someone has to do is pull the handle?

If you're going to steal wheels you at least need some sort of tool.. might as well be a tool that doesn't really care what kind of lock is on there, it just rips it off. The most they are going to do for you is strip so you won't be able to take it off without going to a "professional".

I am running a set of McGard Tuner Spline Drives with a lock. Gator Grips wont fit in most of the lug holes on my rims anyways. They'll have to cut the rim or something or a special 200-pin impact driver to get it out.

Keefe

Keefe

useless...

Has Deer Killer implied, they're pretty useless. If somebody really wanted your rims, it is fairly easy to take them off without the key. I was so surprised when I lost my key and a buddy of mine came over to help change the tire.

But then again, it's almost like car alarms. People don't pay attention to them anymore but it might be enough to deter a thief to target an easier vehicle.

-Moto

Haha I had some bad luck with my 98 civic ex. First time it got broken into they stole the cd player...but when they tried to take it out they banged it up pretty good so they left it.

Second time. The bastards broke in and successfully ripped out my deck this time. But the cheapasses decide to take a peek into my trunk and guess what they take...

They take the $@#ing spare tire. While in the trunk they decide to also go after my jumper battery(haha cheapasses didn't get the charger for the jumper battery). To add salt to my wound they steal a dozen of my bottle rockets that I had left in there for like 4 months.

Third time. This is when I decided to sell the car(The automatic transmission went bad somehow) so I decide to leave the car at my cousin's place so he can sell it. I decide to take off the wheel locks since I figure they might fit my brothers prelude...next day my cousin discovers the passanger side of the car held up by a 4*4 piece of wood and the entire passanger side is missing the wheels and tires....my god they were just steal wheels that could have been bought at any junkyard.

Guess the moral of the story is people are just pathetic sometimes. And that I should invest in a set wheel locks. (The car was at my cousins for a couple days before I decided to remove the wheel locks, and wheels were missing the day after I remove them)

Ok, so they steal your whole car... then grab the mig welder and put a std 17mm nut on the end of your locking lugnut.

I'm sure that there is other quicker on the spot methods of removing them, but since I don't steal rims... never been something I needed to aquire skill in.

Archived