LegacyGT.com

post stage2 questions

just got my car back from the shop with the following installed:

CNT catted downpipe (used)

Killer B oil pickup & baffle tray (new)

invidia q300 exhaust (very used)

"bulletproof" tmic kit (new)

a few concerns came up after the install:

- Before this install, the car was idling low at 300rpm but never stumbled. After the install and flashing to stage 2, it idled at 300rpm and stumbled when I came to a stop…so through my Accessport I upped the revs (with and without A/C on) to about 650 rpm and the stumble went away. Any possible damage doing this adjustment? Idles smoothly in drive @ 650rpm w/ no stumble

- CNT catted DP bell mouth is so big that stock heat shield no longer fits...i have a stock vf46 turbo, can someone suggest one that fits please? Should I be afraid that I will melt something if I go without a heat shield for a couple of weeks?

- CNT catted DP is such a “bad fit” that the mechanic as afraid that after time, the bolts will “break off”. If this were to happen, what symptoms would I see? Would I hear something?

- Invidia q300 exhaust is VERY close to the paint on my rear bumper…crappy fit there as well. Mechanic suggested we could try 14mm xtra low hangers to remedy it…your thoughts?

Pictures of DP to turbo fitment and exhaust tips coming when I get time

- Before this install, the car was idling low at 300rpm but never stumbled. After the install and flashing to stage 2, it idled at 300rpm and stumbled when I came to a stop…so through my Accessport I upped the revs (with and without A/C on) to about 650 rpm and the stumble went away. Any possible damage doing this adjustment? Idles smoothly in drive @ 650rpm w/ no stumble - Have any leaks? Sounds like you might.

- CNT catted DP bell mouth is so big that stock heat shield no longer fits...i have a stock vf46 turbo, can someone suggest one that fits please? Should I be afraid that I will melt something if I go without a heat shield for a couple of weeks? - Trim the stock one to fit.

- CNT catted DP is such a “bad fit” that the mechanic as afraid that after time, the bolts will “break off”. If this were to happen, what symptoms would I see? Would I hear something? - Not good go buy a quality part.

- Invidia q300 exhaust is VERY close to the paint on my rear bumper…crappy fit there as well. Mechanic suggested we could try 14mm xtra low hangers to remedy it…your thoughts? - Forester hangers.

300rpm is low for an engine. Hope you had good oil pressure.

As above, make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.

We zip tie all the vacuum lines.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My car came with a catted downpipe and no heat shield, I ordered a grimmspeed but several other company's make heat shields like Cobb... prices vary but for around $80 you should probably put something in there asap as heat soak will be an issue for you without a shield. I ran mine for awhile with no shield and it was fine.

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

The idle should get low on its own. Something has to be a-miss.

We all have to trim the stock heat shield for a down pipe.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Take a hose clamp and put it on the rubber hanger and tighten the clamp, it will pull the muffler to the left.

I had to do that with my Pro Lab Tuning exhaust, or have a exhaust shop shorten that arm from the muffler.

what were your thoughts on the fitment of the DP? the shop made it sound like it was terrible, but it looks OK at the DP--> turbo connection

what are the chances that my paint touching the exhaust gets black from calm driving over the next week?

dont believe so. but I'm new to all this, after being stock for 5 months i just had all of this stuff added... so i am hearing many new noises that I've never heard haha

exhaust sounds awesome though :)

im going to have everything smoke tested next thursday

DP-Turbo looks fine. Would recommend a PTP lava turbo blanket if you're having issues with heat-shield fitment (I'm running both a turbo blanket + GS heat-shield). Low idle sounds like a leak somewhere, so the smoke-test will help. Rule of thumb is to clamp or zip-tie all hoses. For the exhaust, can try the hose-clamp trick or pick up 14mm XL Kartboy polyurethane exhaust hangers to bring it down a bit.

DP-Turbo looks fine. Would recommend a PTP lava turbo blanket if you're having issues with heat-shield fitment (I'm running both a turbo blanket + GS heat-shield). Low idle sounds like a leak somewhere, so the smoke-test will help. Rule of thumb is to clamp or zip-tie all hoses. For the exhaust, can try the hose-clamp trick or pick up 14mm XL Kartboy polyurethane exhaust hangers to bring it down a bit.

thank you for the advice. the shop that mounted the exhaust offered to install those exact hangers for free! the stumble went away on it's own a day later, now it idles right at 650rpm and smoothly :)

Archived