LegacyGT.com

1 month with my 98. weird mpg n security

so i found out that the red button is for a deactivated security system. Whats it take to get a key fob ordered?

is there a way to change the a/f ratios?

My 95 wagon w 2.2 l that just died got 20 mpg in the city, where my 98 outback 2.5 auto is gettin around 15. is this normal?

Other than that... this car is freakin awesome!

I don't there is any way to change it without doing something mechanical such as put in higher or lower CC injectors, but the car will compensate for it as best as it can, so as far as I know, there isn't much you can do about it besides clean all of the sensors and sensor connectors in hopes that they will read more accurately

Yep, our gen of OE ECU is too dumb to be programmed. If your AFR is incorrect you have a sensor problem or a mechanical problem. If your AFR is correct then you won't gain anything by changing it. My 95 2.2 manual gets about 22-24 city and I drive quite aggressive. If you do as well, then you are probably in line with it. More power = more fuel, so same driving in bigger engine should take more fuel, but I don't have a 2.5, so I don't know if 15 is too much more. I hope setnev stops by soon, I'm pretty sure he has a 2.5 and knows a lot.

If you are getting that crap of mileage I think something is holding back the car, maybe dragging brakes, or just not reading sensors right or maybe just needs a good tune up. I almost consistently get 19-21mpg with my very aggressive driving on mix highway and city roads and I'm also running larger tires than stock. The only time I get worse mileage is when it's winter time, when the car idles a lot and uses winter mixture fuel, but even then it doesn't normally go below 17mpg.

Also my cars a 2.2L Auto so it's probably not a good reference level for your car

+1 to something is wrong to get mileage that low while driving gently.

I've had mine get like that when I had an exhaust leak where the y pipe joins the heads. It sounds like a valve clicking, but it's actually an exhaust leak. It lets air get in there which the O2 sensor reads and makes the computer think you are super lean so it adds way more fuel and then crap mileage.

Also, bad O2 sensors could do this. Mostly the front one is going to control mixture.

Can you tell us about what has been done to the car over the years? Perhaps we can narrow down which tuneup items to do first.

I second exhaust leak. Whenever my gas mileage tanks i check for a leak. Iit usually is the gasket right behind my uel headers. I replaced with a remflex gasket thiis time so it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

My 96 2.5 usually gets around 18 in town and 26-28 highway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

car is stock as far as i can tell, and im familiar with exhaust leaks and the pftssss noise they make. this car sounds normal. Ill partially block off the exhaust tomorrow n listen. i was thinkin 02 sensor... but im a freakin momo, although im a pretty good mechanic.

Thanks guys!

TUNEUPS, Timing belt (interference engine!) +WP + Idlers if due, O2 sensor (front only would impact MPG), PCV, Air, Fuel filters.

If the car is 'new to you' then all the above needs done unless you have it on paper.....people sometimes....er, you know...lie.

alarm info - key fob: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code alarm

P.s...you do know about the HG issue, correct?

Archived