LegacyGT.com

burning oil smell at idle

I have an 08 2.5i, and I've noticed a somewhat strong burning oil smell at idle. It doesn't smoke at all, but you can smell it coming through the vents. Now it only seems to do this with my defrost/heat on. Summer is coming so I know I won't have to use the heat anymore, but any ideas on the problem? Hopefully no leaks (crossing fingers).

I was just reading another thread with similar question like yours. Though in that thread, the OP noticed the smell after revving the engine.

Other people suggested to replace the PCV valve before trying anything else (i.e. replacing gasket, etc.)

Yeah mine actually goes away while revving the engine or moving. I only start smelling it when im at a red light or stopped somewhere, and like I said it seems to only be when the defrost is on...weird.

You get the smell with defrost (prob with vent set to open as well) b/c the intake is below the driver wiper, so any engine bay smell from that side wil get sucked up. THe PCV is a 14mm sized piece directly below the TB and air box. When you remove it check to see it the ball valve inside is seized up. I simply clean mine ever 30K with cab cleaner and never had a problem but its cheap and replacing it ins't hard.

If that checks out youll need to check your inside the TB and airbox mouth for residue youll probably find some but it shouldnt be soaked. If that is fine its time to go under the car, check HGs, oil filter (many times these are not tight and weep oil) oil pan, if you have a MT check the rear seal via the fork boot on top of the trans (below the airbox) use a light and flat head to pry the rubber boot back and look for visual signs of engine oil. Also look at the lower bellhousng (where the engine meets the trans) if that area is caked up with black soot/goop/ etc that is a sign there could be a rear main leak.

Come to think of it the smell has only come after I did an oil change, I think it could be an oil drip on the exhaust. As mentioned above my airbox is loose, one those clips is broken.

That's possible. I usually inspect the under body after an oil change. If I see oil splatters, I would just wipe it down. I also make sure that there's no oil seeping out of the drain bolt.

Archived