LegacyGT.com

Few susp issues/questions

Shotokan1509

Current setup: Factory springs, Koni sports, Whiteline both front LCA bushings, kartboy endlinks ~ 30k on them

Issues:

Slight vibration over 70

My Winter tire setup seems to be wearing out passenger side faster, particularly inner of front

My Summer is exactly opposite, driver side faster, particularly front outter

Also low speed clunks, seems mainly when weight comes off suspension (like driving through grass field at Limerock helped isolate suspension versus road noise)

I'll be going through brakes (centric prem rotors & stoptech street perf pads, plus fluid flush), not getting tire movement for ball joint test. I do seem to have slight noise from spring to strut seat if I shake the sh** out of driver side. What could be causing this, and is there a rubber isolator I can use in there?

Also the body side sway mounts have seen better days, what is factory bar size and is there better aftermarket than factory replacement?

Oh, it does track straight on highway and brake straight.. but I'll get alignment redone after I replace everything that needs to be.

Have you tried to rotating the tires to determine if one or more of the tires are off balance. I was getting the same vibration at speeds over 70 mph, and I just found out one of my rims is bent on the inside. Rotated the bad rim to the rear and the front end no longer has vibration. I can still feel some vibration from that bent rim and speeds over 70mph.
My wife's balls are delicious.

All I can suggest is to check the LCA bushing and make sure there is no cracks in the bushing. Otherwise, check all the ball joints, tie rods and sway bar bushings. I just replaced all mine and it took a lot of the rattle noise out of the suspension. Also, you can check the wheel bearings to see if they are still in good shape, otherwise they could cause the same issue.

Mostly if you're having vibration at 70+ mph, I would think it has to do mostly with the balance of the wheels, either they are off balance or a wheel in bent. Take it to a tire shop and have them examine each wheel. That's what I did to find out that I had 1 wheel bent.

My wife's balls are delicious.

What are symptoms of upper strut mount going bad?

Pretty much what you're describing here. The clunk for sure. I'm going to assume the car has been aligned after all the suspension pieces were put on?

I'd suggest taking it to a competent alignment shop and paying the $25 inspection fee (or whatever it is) and have them do their complete pre-alignment work over to find any bad bushings or joints. Guys that look at these all day can spot a problem in five minutes you could spend all weekend and $400 in parts trying to chase. If you can't rock the tire loaded and unloaded and locate a source of movement or clunking, it gets significantly more difficult to self-diagnose without the experience.

Yes was aligned at performance shop, I'm hoping to find the clunk before getting aligned though as I'd rather not end up replacing a part and them needing another alignment. I'll take another look when I do brakes.

Any luck on what sway bushing? Be great to throw those on while doing brakes

This could be a bad wheel bearing, we've seen this quite often.

We've also see this be a bad alignment. Not to say your "performance" alignment isn't good, but it wouldn't be the first time we've seen a bad one.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

This could be a bad wheel bearing, we've seen this quite often.

We've also see this be a bad alignment. Not to say your "performance" alignment isn't good, but it wouldn't be the first time we've seen a bad one.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

I'm not getting my general bad wheel baiting airplane sound, I'm very familiar from my old rangers (front) and I've had the rears done on the Lgt.

Alignment could be out of whack from bad roads, for example just recently hit hole on tapanzee that I'm almost positive got me airborne. That would explain tire wear and high speed vibe, but not low speed clunking. Hoping just those sway mounts

I'm not getting my general bad wheel baiting airplane sound, I'm very familiar from my old rangers (front) and I've had the rears done on the Lgt.

Alignment could be out of whack from bad roads, for example just recently hit hole on tapanzee that I'm almost positive got me airborne. That would explain tire wear and high speed vibe, but not low speed clunking. Hoping just those sway mounts

The bolt in style subaru bearings do not exhibit the usual bad wheel bearing sounds you may be familiar with. It took us a while to learn how to diagnose them ourselves.

-Mike Paisan

So while brakes were acting fine, the pads/rotors were ugly! Still have all issues though, boo! Going to just get factory sway mounts and throw them on, see if that does anything and I'll get it aligned ASAP.

I don't seem to have different noise turning or at speed and top bottom wheel shake is solid. Side to side is hard to diagnose because I get the whole rack turning.. Or is that an issue?

Grasping at straws here, but maybe it's the driveshaft center bearing clunking and causing the high-speed shake. Or, the u-joints could be totally shot. I've never seen a subaru where the u joints weren't notchy and terrible, but maybe one is coming apart?

Would't explain the tire wear though...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really thinking it's strut mounts (wasn't sway bushings), if they're moving around that's my low speed rattle and if they're not holding steady alignment it's my vibe and tire wear at speed.

What are good brands to buy/avoid?

I'm really thinking it's strut mounts (wasn't sway bushings), if they're moving around that's my low speed rattle and if they're not holding steady alignment it's my vibe and tire wear at speed.

What are good brands to buy/avoid?

OEM are pretty much it out there. Otherwise there aren't a whole lot out there.

Group N work well but raises the front a bit and needs some washers to make work.

-Mike Paisan

Archived