LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT issues

On my 2005 Legacy GT im having issues. The car has issues when starting. I start it and sometimes it just kinda cuts out, almost dies or dies. Then takes like 10-15 seconds of cranking the starter for it to turn over. A friend of mine hooked it up to his laptop, said that it shows its giving about 15% more fuel than it should on the idle trim... Any ideas on what it could be? Leaking injector? Air leak? Torn Turbo Inlet?

I sprayed carb cleaner around vaccum lines, no bogging or anything....

Help!

Thanks

GT!

A couple things you'll want to check (from my own experience with my 05 LGT):

:: Put the engine through a smoke test. Leaks can pop up from the damndest places. Keep in mind that your car is now 7 years old. Rubber lines on these cars seem to harden over time (especially the ones near a heat source).

:: Check your fuel pressure. My car had some weird and inexplicable idling issues, as well as intermittent off-idle bogging and "bucking" - turns out my FPR had taken a shit. Even with a brand new DW65C, I was only getting 15psi of fuel pressure at idle when I should have been getting ~43.5. Replacing the fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable aftermarket one instantly solved that problem.

GT!

A couple things you'll want to check (from my own experience with my 05 LGT):

:: Put the engine through a smoke test. Leaks can pop up from the damndest places. Keep in mind that your car is now 7 years old. Rubber lines on these cars seem to harden over time (especially the ones near a heat source).

:: Check your fuel pressure. My car had some weird and inexplicable idling issues, as well as intermittent off-idle bogging and "bucking" - turns out my FPR had taken a shit. Even with a brand new DW65C, I was only getting 15psi of fuel pressure at idle when I should have been getting ~43.5. Replacing the fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable aftermarket one instantly solved that problem.

I'm going to make the Infinity dealer I purchased it from take a look at it. But seeing as they don't work on Subaru's daily im trying to give them a few ideas to look into. If they cant figure it out, Ill shell out the money and take it to a Subaru dealer.

First day I drove the car off the lot I got a P0171, System to lean on bank 1 CEL. After reading around online I narrowed it down to a T Fitting with Vacuum lines that slipped off under the TMIC. I reattached, secured those and reset the CEL. Car drove fine for a few days. Then I was driving up I70 and all the sudden the car bucked, CEL and Cruise came on, car lost all power and actually kinda bogged when I tried to give it more gas. Pulled over, turned the car off and then back on. Pulled the CEL, it was P0172, Running to rich on Bank 1. I reset the light again. I haven't had a CEL in over a week. Just the weird starting issues that I have had since day one.

Then I was driving about two days ago and it did the buck thing on the highway again.

Then yesterday I was driving, CEL came on, P1544, for too high of an exhaust temp. Reset that light and I have not seen it since but still have the weird starting issues....

Trying to narrow down that is causing the starting issues and the other issue with the car bucking.

The car idles perfectly once its running, but it just has that weird start and then shows its running 15% more fuel than it should only on the idle trim.

The car also does in my opinion kinda bog down when you floor it off a light, but I think this just may be because its an automatic...

Any other ideas?

No. He said egt code. We know when the uppipe cat goes south it damages the egt sensor thus throwing the code. The cat being in a peculiar position can reduce proper gas flow to the turbine therefore the turbo will not spool correctly. When the turbo doesnt spool fast enough the engine will choke without air, instead its left with a lot of fuel and minimal air thus the p0172 code of too rich.

What the OP needs to do is inspect the turbo for shaft play in hopes the cat never actually made it to the turbine fins.

He also needs to replace the uppipe with a catless one. The cat has already dislodged itself and broke the egt probe. Its next headed to the turbo if it hasnt already.

No. He said egt code. We know when the uppipe cat goes south it damages the egt sensor thus throwing the code. The cat being in a peculiar position can reduce proper gas flow to the turbine therefore the turbo will not spool correctly. When the turbo doesnt spool fast enough the engine will choke without air, instead its left with a lot of fuel and minimal air thus the p0172 code of too rich.

What the OP needs to do is inspect the turbo for shaft play in hopes the cat never actually made it to the turbine fins.

He also needs to replace the uppipe with a catless one. The cat has already dislodged itself and broke the egt probe. Its next headed to the turbo if it hasnt already.

The EGT code only ever came on once and I haven't seen it again though. Fuel trims look normal when doing logging. Only running rich at start up idle trim... Car drive and turbo pulls through mid range like the stock turbo should..

Are you still thinking this is the cause?

I got the error just two weeks ago actually.

In addition to that, the car went into limp mode (couldn't accelerate pas 2,500 rpm)

The pressure wasn't right.

So we pulled the fuel filter which was rather bad.

That definitely helped with the pressure, but it was still throwing the p0171 CEL.

The pressure was still slightly off

Ended up replacing the MAF sensor

Ran it a few times

At that point it seemed to be back to normal

Archived