LegacyGT.com

95 trans swap

I have a 95 Legacy L sedan. It has a 2.5 swapped into it. That's all I really know. I am going to replace the trans this weekend but I could use a little info. I don't know if the trans in it is original to the car or if it was swapped when the 2.5 was installed. I plan to install the auto trans from a 97 GT. My question is: do I need the trans control module from the donor car or will my stock TCM work? Also, are there any other potential problems I may run in to? Any info would be much appreciated.

first, there is an aluminum ID tag on the driver side strut tower under the hood, it will list the trans code number for your car. compare that to the white label on the trans bell housing at the starter. this will tell you if the trans is original. it probably is.

second, the trans final drive ratio MUST match the final drive ratio of the rear diff. the 97 GT and the 95 lego DO NOT match. so if the trans is original you will need to swap in the rear diff that matches the new trans.

third, the 2.5L trans and the 2.2L trans have a different torque converter and flex plate. they are interchangeable but only as a matched set. the 2.5L cars have a larger one and the flex plate has to be the same diameter as the TC. usually in an engine swap, the flex plate is changed out.

last, no you do not need to replace the TCU. it will run fine with the new trans.

FYI: 95 - 98 auto trans are all the same EXCEPT for the final drive ratio. you can tell if the ratios are the same by the 4th to last position in the trans code number.

95 L trans has a 4.11 ratio, w/ code number TZ102ZAAAA,

97 GT trns has a 4.44 ratio, w/ code number TZ102Z2CDA.

what is wrong with your trans??

how does the engine run?

Thanks for the info. I am swapping the trans because the one in the car is slipping between gears and I lost rear drive. The engine seems to run pretty good. I plan to do some engine work (maybe some japan parts to hype it up a little). And as for a 5 spd swap... I had a 91 Legacy 2.2 w/ 5 spd. I got tired of shifting. Plus, I work for a salvage yard and am getting the trans cheap. And now that I know, a rear carrier as well. The local Subie guru shop told me I may need the TCM and wiring harness. All will come from the same donor car. It's a project car/ daily driver. I already swapped a GT hood onto it. I plan to do an OB front bumper swap and GT side skirts. I am also keeping my eyes open for a spoiler from a newer WRX or RS maybe. Kind of a frankenstein of Subarus.

do the swap. it will scream off the line with the lower 4.44 ratio and the legacy tires.

get the 16" GT wheels too. or at least buy larger tires when you need them.

tires

95 lego has a 24.2" diameter

97 GT has a 24.9" diameter

the 97 outback has a 26.2 " diameter (but this requires the taller outback struts.)

I already have a set of aftermarket 16's on it. They are offset a little more than stock GT wheels but they are similar in style. I was also thinking about maybe finding some wheels off a late model STi or WRX. I want to replace all the suspension bushings w/ urethane and replace the struts w/ a set of KYB's. I will probably leave the ride height alone simply because I have to drive it year round (northern Michigan winters) plus it sees the occasional dirt road.

Archived