LegacyGT.com

Help! Pulsating whummm whummm whummm noise above 40 mph

Hi everyone

New member here. I have been having A LOT of trouble figuring out what is going on. Just a little background.... New subaru owner, bought a used 2005 subaru legacy GT about 3 months ago. Had a bad wheel bearing, got it fixed, no more loud noise. However, in the last month or so I have started hearing a pulsating whummmmm whummmmm whummmm noise but ONLY when i hit 40 mph. The noise is also a vibration that i can feel through the gas pedal and the floor. It pulsates and is not a constant noise like it was when i had a bad wheel bearing. Also, the noise goes away after i get up to about 60 (maybe the road nosie just drowns it out, i dont know.). Anyways, I have taken it to 2 mechanics and neither could figure out what the noise was because it only happens under load. One mechanic said it was probably my differential starting to fail. The other said it could be a lot of things and that i would just have to let it get worse. I can't wait.....its annoying and I dont want it to get worse and cause any more problems. The noise doesnt change when i turn, as long as i am going 40-60, the noise is there. the noise also increased with speed, or pulsates faster when i speed up, slower when i slow down. Any ideas???? I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

That's my guess too. I have replaced all 4 in the past year or so.

Only use OEM bearings on the front, the rears can be after market but you may find OEM is less money.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Think I might be plagued with the same issue. Stealership claims it's the tyres, not the bearings, but I believe that's because they just didn't want to change them as SOA suggested. Mine gives more of a constant Hummm as opposed to pulsating sounds.

Archived