LegacyGT.com

How deep of snow has your leggy taken on and won?

3 inches on stock yokohama's in my 2.5i =P have yet to try anything crazy yet hah

this storm we just got. Down where I am in central jersey, we got 30 inches on my driveway. Some crazy guy in our block just had to go out, in his new Escalade ESV, got stuck midway. Managed to get loose after some intense shoveling. Then got stuck on the wall of snow the plows left. =P he then drove back and forth like 3 more times yesterday.

2+ feet of packed dirt and snow occupying the only available parallel parking spot on a cold Saturday night in Somerville MA. Dense enough to bend the front license plate to a 90-degree angle but slushy enough to completely fill the bumper cover and block the radiator.

With some acceleration, rocking and flying snow I got the car in, but it took a lot of shoveling to get the car out.

It's not all about how deep it is, it's also about how hard it is.

8 hard inches can be a challenge while 16 soft inches can be easy.

Excellent point ehsnils.......the specific hardness is key.

I regularly drove out of my garage without shoveling the driveway when there was 8 to 12 inches of freshly fallen snow. No problem until one snowfall last year.....the snow was perfect "snowball packing" snow. The car rolled about ten feet and promptly stopped. The front wheels had lifted off the ground---snow had packed harder and harder under the skidplate !!! Had to shovel the whole driveway that day.

Edit: wouldn't have been so bad getting stuck if I hadn't just rejected my neighbor's offer of using his snowblower----"No thanks , I have 4 wheel drive ! "

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

We get alot of snow (3ft+) - hence having the subaru in the first place. like others have been saying if the snow is to hard, your car sits ontop of it and you cant really go anywhere. but when it comes to driving in soft snow - its great, never a problem. Its a great feeling passing a plow.

My car dealt with 8" without it even seeming like I was driving through snow.

That being said, there was an STi stuck on one of the major roads nearby during the snow. The front lip became a big shovel and eventually the wall of snow in front of the car was more than the car could deal with.

I think the front of your car will have a lot to do with it as well. If its lowered at all, or has a pronounced front lip you will have a lot more problems than say a stock Legacy, I had no issues with piles of snow clearing themselves in mine.

I had coilovers on my Outback during "snow-ma-geddon" in the mid Atlantic last year, and I had absolutely no problem plowing around.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

15" no problem. Till I tried to get up my driveway and the snow drift was over my hood which cut off the air to the engine. Still made it up, got a little movement going before hitting the snow let off the gas and would idle in to it, rolled back down the hill, repeat till at the top of the driveway.

2-3ft (it was just over the hood) of freshly plowed powdery snowbank on the side of the road...

when i first got the car, driving in a storm, went into an unmarked 90 degree turn too fast and started going off the road. floored it and was cutting the wheel back into the road but it just kept sliding into the woods, then when i was inside the snowbank it finally caught traction and exploded through the snowbank and back onto the road. i was pretty amazed

2-3ft (it was just over the hood) of freshly plowed powdery snowbank on the side of the road...

when i first got the car, driving in a storm, went into an unmarked 90 degree turn too fast and started going off the road. floored it and was cutting the wheel back into the road but it just kept sliding into the woods, then when i was inside the snowbank it finally caught traction and exploded through the snowbank and back onto the road. i was pretty amazed

thats like something out of a movie, haha

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that hahahaha

about 12 inches myself without a problem could have taken on more..I just wonder how them lowered folk get around with deep snow? make shift plowing with their front ends? lol

thats like something out of a movie, haha

haha it felt like it. it was very surreal.

...I just wonder how them lowered folk get around with deep snow? make shift plowing with their front ends? lol

i'm lowered now and also have a front lip and it does sorta turn into a plow. just gotta keep the foot on the gas and it seems to keep going, though. i also have winter tires on it now.

Archived