LegacyGT.com

Growling/Clunking noise in rear while accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd ??

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5th gear noise is a different drive-line noise.

Edmundu has talked about it.

I can get it too, but it is not what this thread is about.

I'm not talking about the fifth gear whine that Edmundu talked about ages ago. I'm talking about flooring it in 5th gear, and around 3000 rpm, the back of the car sounds like it wants to shake apart. Part throttle is just fine.

Warren

That's the range of the sound, though mine extends somewhat above 3k. I haven't found the post that you're referring to though. Have a pointer?

edit: Ahh, I found it. The suspicion is that it's the center driveshaft bushing

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52667

Warren

Edited by Wangspeed

• 2 weeks later...

07 Spec B with stock Bilsteins, H&R Springs, 22mm Perrin Torsion bars, Perrin torsion bar mounts, Perrin control arms, Perrin endlinks. 300whp, 17K Miles, stock wheels / tires.

Growls like a mother only when cornering left under medium to high power; never in a straight line even under full throttle. I recently anchored my wheel liner more securely thinking it was rubbing but actually made the situation worse. WFT?

If it's the struts, the Bilsteins do it too. All the posts are awesome! You guys rock!

I have been following this for about 6 months when I first noticed my car was doing this...the one thing that I couldn't find was someone asking about the rear axle/cv joints. Doesn't this sound like something that could be produced by a bad cv joint? If you think about the circumstances that bring it up it could make sense: hard acceleration + worse when turning = the rear suspension getting more loaded and having those cv joints at larger angles under greater power. I looked under my car and found that when nothing is in the vehicle there is already a small angle in the cv joint - add weight in the rear and/or load the suspension with hard acceleration and that angle gets even larger...the only thing I cant explain is why it gets SO HORRIBLE when its below 30 degrees outside. Thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys think. :confused:

I am at a loss but dextr214 you might be onto something.

:iam:

Cold temperatures would cause less flexibility. That is one thing we obviously know. As long as the temps are above 40, mine doesn't make this rubbing/growling sound near as bad.

I believe SeeYa's determination is still a valid theory, and based on his results, it solves the problem (for him, at least). It's been too cold for me to go out there and play with it some, but that's the strongest theory I see at this point, with at least one "solved" case to show for it.

That said, there is also the mention of the pre-alignment on the bushing, which I think was mentioned by unclemat?

EDIT: My hold up has also been that I don't want to go through SeeYa's process, as it puts the car (my daily driver) out of use for some time (and is really messy!)... I'm hoping that an "insert" type thing might show up or come about from this...

Edited by schwinn

• 3 weeks later...

Installed the spec-B front bushings in the rear arm. They still have an area (not really a void) that has less material in it, but are noticeably stiffer then the non spec-B ones. NVH difference is not noticeable.

I still have the noise.:confused:

I haven't put in the Beatrush lower rear diff support yet. Fingers crossed it will help, but I doubt it.

Other then that I am at a loss as to what to do.

I put in the Beatrush lower rear diff support.

It actually made it worse.

First here are the pics:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/IMG_5202.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/IMG_5203.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/IMG_5205.jpg

You will notice that no part will ever fit as intended, and need to be slightly modified to fit.:rolleyes:

A couple of mins with an angle grinder solved this problem:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/IMG_5207.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/IMG_5206.jpg

The poly bushings are the main advantage here. They are obviously stiffer. The things is with the beatrush diff support on the noise was worse. I wanted to make sure it wasn't my imagination, so I quickly (within 10 mins) swapped the OEM one back, and sure enough it got noticeably quieter again.

This is pseudo good news, kinda.

The poly bushings transmitted the noise much more so then the rubber bushings. That means the noise was coming from somewhere in the diff, drive-shaft, etc..... It would not be coming from the rear suspension or anything attached to the rear sub-frame.

Could it be the adjustable length driveshaft? I know the auto has it but does the 5MT have it as well?

Not sure what you mean?

Don't all driveshafts have to "adjust" to allow for rear suspension movement?

Nope! The 5.0 Mustang and the Supra TT I had were all "Fixed Length" driveshafts. The one in the LegGT slides inside itself to accommodate for either longer tranny (5MT to 5EAT) or because it is meant to "stretch" or "shrink".

Nope! The 5.0 Mustang and the Supra TT I had were all "Fixed Length" driveshafts. The one in the LegGT slides inside itself to accommodate for either longer tranny (5MT to 5EAT) or because it is meant to "stretch" or "shrink".

:confused:

All trannies get different driveshafts. The "sliding feature" has nothing to do with being universal between trannies.

Any thoughts after my experiment there unlc matt?

Not really. I did the arms (& bushings) and also all four diff bushings and I wasn't getting the noise at all. Although I am on JDM OEM springs in winter.

• 1 month later...

Don't mean to bring up a semi-old thread but I guess no one has been able to fix this problem yet....

I have the same problem on a totally stock '05 LGT w/ auto and I get the same sound regardless of temp. The other day was 32 C (about 86 F) and I still get the sound which only seems to happen at speeds over 80kph (~50mph).

It's driving me nuts, literally!!

Don't mean to bring up a semi-old thread but I guess no one has been able to fix this problem yet....

I have the same problem on a totally stock '05 LGT w/ auto and I get the same sound regardless of temp. The other day was 32 C (about 86 F) and I still get the sound which only seems to happen at speeds over 80kph (~50mph).

It's driving me nuts, literally!!

It's probably the same issue I have, which is not what people are describing in this thread. Here's the problem I have:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52667

Warren