LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Anyone's A/C not work after the install? I have Auto Air, the fans are working fine but no cooling.

Also, anyone take theirs in for service on the A/C or radio with the board installed, or should I pull it?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone's A/C not work after the install? I have Auto Air, the fans are working fine but no cooling.

Also, anyone take theirs in for service on the A/C or radio with the board installed, or should I pull it?

I would pull it if you're specifically having the AC or radio serviced. I'm not sure I understand what's wrong though. Does the display still work? and do the other climate controls work? Or is the whole thing dead?
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

display is fine, all buttons work, heat works, dials work in both directions, fans adjust speed automatically, checked the fuses that say A/C on them....the only thing that doesn't work is when it is in A/C mode, the air does not get cold coming out of the vent.

I am going to check all of the connections prior to service, hopefully I just left one loose.

Fritz says "word!" 9 months later and I couldn't be happier! If I could only remember to use the RPT button...

$35 hack + 1 hour install = Happy Chris

Ok, I also bought an iPod power/audio wiring harness, a GLI and a mobile phone mount, so a little more than $35, but still...

brhays, let me know if you need links to the power/audio and/or mobile phone mount.

No, the GLI does not need it's own power. It is just a transformer.

CJ.

New guy here, frustrated with trying to find a good quality way to play my mp3 player in my Legacy. I've got an 05 2.5i sedan. So, anybody here have Jazzy pnp mod experience with the 1cd/manual hvac controls model? If so, what changes are there from the 6cd install?

Chris...Lozerville...is that Louisville, CO? You or anybody else in the Denver area up to helping me out with this as I am pretty sad at this kind of stuff?

Coz - welcome to the site! :) As far as the manual install, the only significant difference is removing the stereo + manual climate controls from the dash. There is an extra cable that needs to be disconnected to pull it out. It's outlined in Metra's dash kit instructions (another option for ya btw) attached. The rest is basically the same as the Legacy/Outback 6CD install.

INST99-8901_Page_3.jpg.5caa9fabbc8143f17bcf9445438d7dff.jpg

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Has anyone had thermal problems with keeping an iPod in the center storage area above the radio (as centerpunch's pictures show)? There's a warning sticker inside the cubby explaining that it can get hot. It seems a more convenient location than in the compartment behind the shifter, but I'd rather not cook my iPod.

Thanks,

Wallace

I dont know if anyone posted this...but when you put everything back together and your cd wont load all the way...DONT PANIC. hold down the load button till it beeps for "Load All" and itll work.

I ran a 6' mini plug and drilled a hole into my center console....stealth ftw!

lovin it so far...best mod ev4r!1!

Finally installed mine (4 months after buying it!) and it was an easy installation. Another complement for the wonderful instructions.

Jazzy: One thing to note, on my 06 LGT, there were actually 6 screws holding the CD player in the radio (behind the front panel). I have a picture of it, if you are interested... but it's not a big deal.

Well, finally took apart the dash and found the loose connection. I also installed my wire harnes and found that the missing dimming wire causes the LCD's to only have 2 settings and the back lighting on all the buttons and what not don't turn on. So need to pull everyting apart again and decide what to do next for the sub woofer.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

GLI from radio shack. Don't have the part # off the top of my head, but it's in this thread somewhere ;) and you can search for it there. That's where I got mine - about $15 or so...

hmm all I see is GLI with RCA set up

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214&cp=&origkw=ground+loop+isolator&kw=ground+loop+isolator&parentPage=search

A/C issue had nothing to do with my install. The car had 0 coolant in it. Either it never got filled or they took it out while it was a demo car. :( All better now.

Good news is I can now do Jazzy's install in under an hour. If anyone in North Jersey wants it done, PM me.

Has anyone had thermal problems with keeping an iPod in the center storage area above the radio (as centerpunch's pictures show)? There's a warning sticker inside the cubby explaining that it can get hot. It seems a more convenient location than in the compartment behind the shifter, but I'd rather not cook my iPod.

Thanks,

Wallace

I think your safe with going up there, there are numerous people that have put their Sirius and Ipod's above the radio. You may want to keep the hatch open while driving just to be safe.

Quick question... I thought the CD changer signaled to the unit to not use the audio stream if no CD is playing. I can hear my aux-in even when in AM/FM. Is this normal?

Completely normal, the board is just a way to feed the stream into the radio no matter what the radio is tuned to. The silent CD gives you the clean background. The aux can be heard anytime it is running. Best to turn off the aux device when you want the radio.

I have had my LGT for 2 years and have put this mod off way too long. I used the fm modulator and thought it was good enough for my XM, until I heard a car with factory XM and it sounded better than mine, even though I had modified the stereo otherwise which includes the factory subwoofer; with a 300w Pioneer Amp, Kenwood separates up front and Pioneer 2 ways in the rear. I even paid Best Buy for the install, just $75. OMG, the XM radio sounds as good as my CDs. I can crank the volume all the way and it is crystal clear. I put in the full $85 kit with the GLI. I am thrilled. If any of you are putting this off, DON'T. You won't regret it. (Even though my girlfriend says she can't hear the difference, I sure can ;-)

I have had my LGT for 2 years and have put this mod off way too long. I used the fm modulator and thought it was good enough for my XM, until I heard a car with factory XM and it sounded better than mine, even though I had modified the stereo otherwise which includes the factory subwoofer; with a 300w Pioneer Amp, Kenwood separates up front and Pioneer 2 ways in the rear. I even paid Best Buy for the install, just $75. OMG, the XM radio sounds as good as my CDs. I can crank the volume all the way and it is crystal clear. I put in the full $85 kit with the GLI. I am thrilled. If any of you are putting this off, DON'T. You won't regret it. (Even though my girlfriend says she can't hear the difference, I sure can ;-)

Which BestBuy did the install for you, MLC? Did they have any problems with it? The install department at the south Wadsworth BB are complete a**hats.

I should get a commission or something. Seriously, it deserves to be stuck.
What, do you want a cookie? ;) Well thanks guys. I'm not sure how much good a 60 page thread does stickied, but hopefully there's some good info on the first and last page. :D

Which BestBuy did the install for you, MLC? Did they have any problems with it? The install department at the south Wadsworth BB are complete a**hats.

Coz,

I went to the new Best Buy at E-470 and Smoky Hill Rd. Dustin and Chris are both certified installers and know what they are doing. Dustin did my installation.

Well, I finally got the time, the weather, and the nerve and then promptly got stymied at the second step. When I tried to unscrew the two screws in the armrest cubby the would not budge! I solved part of the problem: a 10mm socket on a socket wrench will do the trick. Unfortunately, my extension isn't long enough (story of my life). You need at least 6 inches.

So, as soon as I make another trip to the hardware store this week I am good to go. But now I am nervous about other tight screws. Any recommendations for other tools to have on hand?