LegacyGT.com

A dumb question regarding disconnecting the battery and tuning

Hugo L.

My car has a Rallitek Stage 2 tune (no AP, done in the car by Sean at Rallitek w/ the previous owner).

Now, I'm just about to install an SPT intake I got for cheap in the classifieds.

I read the reviews here beforeheand, and someone quotes the instructions as saying :

"Watch your Air-Fuel Mix

If you install the SPT High Flow Air Intake system and want to measure the results, be sure the air-fuel mix resets to original specifications prior to testing. Especially if the SPT setup is dynoed first, neglecting to reset the control unit will result in an air-fuel mixture that’s too lean. That will skew dynamometer results for the base line too high, and the comparison will not be apples-to-apples. Disconnect the battery so the control unit resets to ensure proper calculations from the air mass sensor input."

So if I don't do this, will I run lean despite my tune?

If I DO disconnect the battery, will I compromise my tune?

WTF, I'm new to the Subie world and am completely lost here. I owned another tuned car and disconnecting the battery doesn't do sh*t to the tune.

What type of engine management is on the car? Reseting the ecu will only erase the information stored on the ram which was learned by the ecu or loaded via AP. In your case you most likely only have a base map so resetting will do nothing but reset the car's learning parameters. Either way you look at it won't be a good idea to add an intake, especially the SPT.

But it won't erase the map itself, right?

Not saying the SPT is the best out there, I just want to try it, but don't wanna risk running lean or damaging something in the process.

Also, reconsider tyhe SPT intake. ALOT of [people npe this board say it does not help at all. Consdier keeping the stock box and getting a panel filter.
Rehab is for quitters.

I already have a panel filter. I read the reviews here, so I will try both back to back.

If I don't like it, I won't keep it just to say that I have an intake.

It is shielded tho.

Archived