LegacyGT.com

Tax Return Suspension!!

I have on 05 GT Stage 2. Pro tuned At PIA. Mike is an awesome tuner btw. So im going to be putting about $2,000 from my return into suspension. What i was thinking is BC racing coilovers. This car doesnt hit the track and is a daily driver. Then whiteline front and rear sway bars with kartboy endlinks. Would love to hear your input or experience. Thanks

Saw you driving the other day downtown (Friday? SWP Sedan). Car looks good!

Anyway, get the koni's with h&r springs. It's perfect for the roads we have up here, gives a decent drop (1.5"), and still allows you to get some extra performance. That alone should run you about $600-800 depending on where you get it from. Get a whiteline roll center kit. I'm not sure about you, but I got really bad bump steer with just the shocks and springs installed. While you're down there (preferably before you get started) check lca bushings. If you're doing this all yourself, you'll still have a good $600-1000 left over for sways, alignment, and tires.

Saw you driving the other day downtown (Friday? SWP Sedan). Car looks good!

Anyway, get the koni's with h&r springs. It's perfect for the roads we have up here, gives a decent drop (1.5"), and still allows you to get some extra performance. That alone should run you about $600-800 depending on where you get it from. Get a whiteline roll center kit. I'm not sure about you, but I got really bad bump steer with just the shocks and springs installed. While you're down there (preferably before you get started) check lca bushings. If you're doing this all yourself, you'll still have a good $600-1000 left over for sways, alignment, and tires.

Ya that was me. Good to see a local on here. I think I will go this route. Unfortunately will not be doing any of the work because I'm ignorant when it comes to working on this car and I want it done right. I will be getting everything done at PIA. Thanks

+1 for Koni's and springs. I have Koni's with swift springs on my wagon and love the ride! I drove it for quite a while on that setup before upgrading the sway bar setup and it was a very noticeable improvement over stock. It gives the car a very planted feeling, handles amazing in corners and gives the car a nice drop in ride height without being too low and scrapping on everything.

Ya that was me. Good to see a local on here. I think I will go this route. Unfortunately will not be doing any of the work because I'm ignorant when it comes to working on this car and I want it done right. I will be getting everything done at PIA. Thanks

I was ignorant at 16 when I first changed out my Mustangs suspension. This was back before the internet is as useful as it is today. I still figured it out. I don't come from a family with "cars in our blood". If you are reasonably handy and have a desire to learn you can do it.

This site is great. There are so many walkthroughs with pictures on how to do stuff. Plus, you can probably find local members to help you if you ask.

When you do the work yourself, means you have more mod money :D

You can do it!

$2k will get you everything done except maybe the lca bushings (I replaced my control arms instead of just the bushings), if you're also budgeting for tires. You're gonna

love it.

Agree with the above posts, I'd go KW's or better or stick with a good strut spring combo. Love the KW's on my track car but my .02 cents - I'd still put a nice strut spring combo on my daily driver as a coilover set up is more hassle down the road in many ways, maintenance being one of them :)

There's nothing wrong with paying a shop to do work on your car. Sometimes it's just a convenience. I think sometimes people who don't do everything themselves (like myself!) get inadvertently (or intentionally) persecuted in the car community even though we're all enthusiasts. I know that's not the attitude Rhitter was taking but I felt it was a noteworthy point to make.

I have attempted a lot of new jobs on my car and have more "firsts" planned but there have been trade offs. One is that I end up having to pay out the *** to rent a base model Hyundai because I messed something up and can't drive my car temporarily or a mistake ends up costing more money, like the time I set my axle boot on fire with a torch. :lol::lol:

Another trade off is that because I'm saving so much money in labor I get pumped up and start planning modifications that aren't in my budget haha.

I have BC Coilovers and I would not describe the ride as comfortable by any means but I'm used to driving dumpy old Japanese cars on Michigan roads so it's not that bad. When these get ruined in a year like Gigs says I'll get Konis and springs LOL. :lol::redface:

One final point - there's a difference between being ignorant and being uneducated. Ignorance implies an apathy or indifference about knowledge. Obvious, but easily lost in the scheme of things. ;)

So i just got quoted $800 in labor costs. Anyone local want to help me get it done for half??

I could probably help you out, I did the koni/swift install on my car. Granted I had access to a lift at the time, but the job can easily be done jackstands.

If it was me i would buy those used KW in the link provided and save for sways later. or go with koni inserts and springs with the sways.

I went mostly that route - stock springs / Konis / Sway Bars / Upgraded bushings;)

It's perfect for a DD - handles great with a slightly stiffer ride - but not harsh at all:p

Off topic. SO i have a jmp vf40 turbo cobb dp, grimm speed up, avo turbo inlet, Cobb intake and pro tune was wondering if i got a jmp vf52 and a grimmspeed tmic if it would be significant performance upgrade.

I went from Stage II to a VF52 with Grimmspeed TMIC = +70 HP / +25 TQ:cool: - But the car pulls much better across the board:) (Well new shortblock may help some...:redface:) - worthwhile upgrade IMHO:wub:

If you have some cash left over do the grimmspeed master cylinder brace, stoptech stainless lines and stoptech street performance pads. Just did all of this on my car and the brakes feel 100 times better... they make a lot of brake dust tho.

Archived