LegacyGT.com

Looking forward to summer wheels!

soloz2

I purchased my 06 2.5i SE right before thanksgiving and promptly had a set of Continental ExtremeWinterContacts mounted on my stock 17" wheels. Now, I need to start looking ahead to what I want for summer wheels. The problem is that my budget will be tight and in reality the less I spend the better. :mad: I'd love some 18" wheels, but since I drive back roads in Western NY every day I should probably stick with 17" wheels, and as an added bonus can have less expensive tires! :p If at all possible I'd like to keep stock weight, or a little less. I believe I saw somewhere that the stock 17" wheels were about 20lbs, so my goal is 20lbs or less.

The local Subaru forums have a Rota group buy every spring so I can go with a Rota wheel for a good price, or I can get something else. If at all possible I'd like to keep stock weight, or a little less. I believe I saw somewhere that the stock 17" wheels were about 20lbs, so my goal is 20lbs or less.

I have also seen a couple vendors here who sell good looking wheels for cheap, but they seem to be heavier than stock... how dramatic of a difference would I notice going to something like a Drag wheel?

I was just browsing on Tirerack and saw a couple wheels that look good and are relatively inexpensive and less than 20lbs. Does anyone have any experience with this wheel?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan+2.5I&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Limited&initialPartNumber=D5022S&i1_Qty=4&wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=D5&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&showRear=no

17x7" 19lbs and only $109!

or this Enkei wheel. It looks a bit better and is 17x7.5", but is 19.8lbs and a bit more expensive at $140.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=4627750250BS&wheelMake=Enkei+Performance&wheelModel=Imola&wheelFinish=Bright+Silver+Paint&showRear=no&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan+2.5I&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Limited&filterFinish=All&filterSize=17&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=W_18_20&sort=Brand

Right now I'm open to just about anything and do not plan to buy until I get my tax return so I have 1-2months here. I'm thinking that I'll probably go with a silver wheel since my car is regal blue, but depending on wheel I may be open to bronze or gunmetal.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

i cant see the links but there are plenty of wheels that are light

my FN01R-C 17x9 were 19lb each

RPFs are light too

and so are all the forged wheels

Both of those are more than I want to spend. If possible I'd like to be somewhere around $1k with tires not just wheels and then have to add on another $400 for tires. I think $800 for all 4 wheels is probably going to be my max. At that price I can get the 18x8 forged wheels from a vendor here.

The two wheels I linked from tirerack were:

Enkei Imola 17x7.5, 50m, 19.8lbs, $140/ea

Sport Edition D5 17x7 50mm, 19lbs, $109/ea

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I bought my MB Boost (gunmetal) 17x7 for around $110 each

those look pretty decent. Discount Tire Direct has them for $126/ea with a $50 instant rebate so they are reasonably priced as well. Do you know the weight? I can't see to find it.

The MB speed looks sick! http://www.wheelsbymbmotoring.com/product.php?wheel=Speed

No indication of sizes or weight though :spin:

i cant see the links but there are plenty of wheels that are light

my FN01R-C 17x9 were 19lb each

RPFs are light too

and so are all the forged wheels

You realize you are talking about rims that run over $250 and the guy is trying to minimize spend, don't you?

Yeah, original plan wasn't to do this as cheaply as possible, but it looks like I'm going to be moving this summer so I need to watch expenses.

I had a set of Sports Editions on my '02 Impreza RS...looked good...leaked air right through the rims (Porous castings) and were very soft...bent at the very sight of a pothole...BUY the Enkeis:)

Exactly the feedback I'm looking for! I'll remove Sports Editions from my list of possible wheels!

Hmm... they've got a couple good looking wheels such as the XXR 518 and XXR 522. I really wish manufactures and vendors would list weights for every wheel! Looks like the 518 is 18.5lbs, which is good. No data on center bore though...

http://www.xxrwheels.com/xxr_518.shtml

I'm liking the price and looks of the 17" Five:AD wheels sold by one of the vendors here. Right now I'm leaning towards that option...although I need to decide on split or solid 6 spoke. They are, however; a little heavier than some of the other wheels in the same price range.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've been looking at wheels, researching and trying to figure out what I want. I've down down to a couple different options that I find reasonable.

Option 1: 2011 WRX wheels. I can source these locally, 500 miles on the OEM setup. 17x8 wheels and 235/45 17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 tires. This combo weighs in at about 48lbs so it's on the heavy side. The wheels are 17x8" +53 and I have not been able to find any pictures of anyone running them on a 4th gen Legacy. I think the wheels look great, and the price is right, but I'm concerned about clearance issues and the extra weight. My 2.5i is already slow... I really don't want to make it any slower, and I don't want to loose out on too MPG due to wide and heavy wheels. I am unsure of how much this really matters though...

Option 2: Bronze Sparco Assetto Gara. I'm waiting to hear back on weight confirmation, but one of our members just got these in 18x8" and they weigh right in at about 20lbs so I'm thinking the 17x7.5" should be around 17-18, which is a few pounds lighter than the stock wheels. I love the looks and reduced weight, but by the time I add tires (thinking ExtremeContact DWS) I'm about $350 above the price for the WRX wheels. How much difference do lighter wheels really make?

http://www.ozracing.fr/car_wheels_var/Sparco%20Wheels/25188/SPARCO/ASSETTO%20GARA/40390.aspx

Option 3: If the Sparcos turn out to be really heavy I might go with a set of Konig Feather from discounttiredirect.com They are about the same price as the Sparcos and are only 17.1lbs in a 17x7.5 +45

Archived