LegacyGT.com

Looking to rebuild my SOHC to a turbo DOHC

Hello, So I might be looking into rebuilding my motor. I own a 2001 Legacy GT SOHC. Right now I'm just starting to wrap my head around it. Does anyone know of any good threads where I can find a list of everything I need to turn this lovely lady into potentially an STI. I know I would need to upgrade the transmission. I would probably end up rebuilding that too. I just need to be pointed in the right direction for finding quality parts that will last me.

For the cost of doing that...just buy a 4th Gen GT. Trust us, your going to spend well over $10,000 to do it right. There are so many things your going to need and still not have a car as good as a 4th Gen LGT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm not really too worried about price. It's going to be an on going project. I'm not a fan of the 4th gen body/interior. This is a car I plan on keeping for as long as gas powered motors exist. I am doing the work myself so there is no labor cost. I just want to know what the best brand for bearings/rods/rings. Really not interested in buying a new car.

What is the end goal here?

Many nicer faster toys can be bought for the cost of sti swapping a 3rd gen. I love the 3rd gen body style also, but id rather have an sti swapped second gen wagon.

Fak it, just LS swap it.

Buy an EJ207 JDM STI motor, strip your car completely and rip the harness out, find a WRX harness, send both harnesses and about a grand to iWire so they can merge the harness for you, wait 4-6 weeks for them to finish. Then rewire your car, put a WRX front subframe in, EJ207 in, turn the key and be happy.

Of course this is a LOT more work than it sounds like. I'm planning to do the same to my 02 Legacy GT wagon.

No point rebuilding an NA 2.5 block and turboing it, it will split the second you make stock WRX levels of power. The block is literally the cheapest part of this if you were to go the 2.5 route. Virgin case halves are like 250 bucks. Dump that SOHC POS into the nearest lake. Also the trans is the least of your worries, run what you have until you grenade it or you find a cheap 6speed swap.

Archived