LegacyGT.com

Disabling DRL's on 2008 Outback

I was reading all these threads on here about cutting a blue and black wire. Then other people said something about a brown wire. I just bought a 2008 Legacy Outback today. I unplugged the white clip from the black DRL computer (located above the gas pedal on the fire wall) and that was it, works perfect. Why is everyone cutting wires? Just unplug that white clip, you're done. All lights work. Fog, low and highs and directionals. And DRL's are now off....

Or you could just smash out your headlights with a baseball bat :lol:

Oh shut up you!

Just because you are in Canadialand® and they are required there does not mean that people don't have the right to turn them off.

Now go look at your bubbled up expensive tint job and cry me a river! :p

X

---

Well, thanks guys (maybe girls) for the nice welcome. This is my 7th Subaru but my first time turning into an internet nerd because of it :) You all seem cool and very informative. I unplugged that white clip from the 06' Baja and it worked great, I'm glad Subaru went back to that system in their new cars instead of the Blue/Black wire crap.

Has anyone on here had a shop put a couple tail pipes through the rear bumper yet?

All lights work. Fog, low and highs and directionals. And DRL's are now off....

On 2008s, unplugging the white plug knocks out the DRLs and keeps all the other lights working.

The only problem seems to be that it disables the hi-beam indicator on the dash. Do a search... I think we're close to fixing this.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
Or you could just smash out your headlights with a baseball bat :lol:

No Sebs, YOU get to do this whenever you run across a DLR disabled car driving around after official sunset, or during fog or precipitation without their headlights on.

You all seem cool and very informative.

And THIS is most definitely NOT true.

It is still ugly.

We just picked up an 08 Outback wagon. The DRLs on it are the high beams. The low beams are off until you turn them on - a change from the 05-07 model years.

I wonder if this is SOA's attempt to reduce the rapid bulb burnout factor people experienced for the 05-07 models.

• 8 years later...
On 2008s, unplugging the white plug knocks out the DRLs and keeps all the other lights working.

The only problem seems to be that it disables the hi-beam indicator on the dash. Do a search... I think we're close to fixing this.

Ben

I know I'm ridiculously late to this party, but I FIGURED IT OUT! Cut the thick red wire (pin #5) on the white connector for the DRL module:

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag28/tomsanity/Other%20stuff/IMAG0307_zpsctgc2sdq.jpg

Then, leave both connectors plugged in. You'll have DRLs disabled and your dashboard indicator light for your high beams working! This was done on a 2008 Outback XT and is almost definitely the same for a 2009.

For the curious:

I had to look in the wiring diagram and learn the circuit to figure it out. That red wire (pin #5) on the white connector is the wire that the DRL module would use to drive the high beam bulbs at low power to give you your DRLs. The wire that the DRL module uses to drive the high beam bulbs at high power to give you your high beams is the red wire (pin #3) on the other black connector on the DRL module. That's why your high beams still work when you have only the white connector unplugged. However, the indicator light for the high beams on the dashboard uses pin 4 of the white connector (green wire with a red stripe).

Now go install some LED high beams! That's why I was doing this mod.

Edited by tominator19
Added model years

i was able to do this some time back, although i think it was a little more involved, i ended up getting it done without any cutting but required going all the way into the dash and the steering column. Are you fog lights still fully functional? I set up so that my fog lights could be used with my running lights without the DRL's.

Could this red wire then be used as a trigger for some alternative DRL (like LED Halo or something) then?

You should definitely be able to do that. However, you'd likely have to use that signal to control a relay that would give your LED DRL a full 12 volts when they're supposed to be turned on. The stock halogen high beam & DRL bulb can be driven at a lower voltage, but an LED light system probably can't. It might flicker or not work at all.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to revive this.

Can somebody tell me how DRL suppose to work on 2006 Legacy GT.

We want to install halos but I can not see any difference in lighting on Off; middle; On position?

Thanks!

Hi,

Sorry to revive this.

Can somebody tell me how DRL suppose to work on 2006 Legacy GT.

We want to install halos but I can not see any difference in lighting on Off; middle; On position?

Thanks!

Did you try this thread? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/drl-disable-10-minutes-2117.html?t=2117&highlight=disable+DRL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Dragging this back up. I'd like to eliminate the DRLs in my new 2009 OB. I see above that cutting the red wire on the white DRL module plug will do it.

I have run into several mentions in other locations where folks talk about cutting a blue/black wire instead, which I see also in the picture above. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!